Looking for help with medicine for bantams - respiratory illness

downekc09

Songster
Jan 20, 2021
Hello! I have a bunch of silkies and seramas. They have a sneeze, and I need help with what to give to them and how much. I have heard of injectable and oral medicine. I have done oral before, is injectable easier?

Also, I have a sweeter heater, but they won't sit under it... what other types of heaters do you have that aren't too expensive but work and are safe?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20221206_174647.jpg
    20221206_174647.jpg
    729.6 KB · Views: 14
How cold is it? They don't need any heater unless you live where it goes considerably below zero, just to be draft free. You can make a huddle box, like a tote on its side do they can go in and warm it up with body heat.
If you have a respiratory problem, tylan is what most people recommend but I'm not sure on dosage. You can prevent issues by making sure your coop has good ventilation and low dust bedding and no de.

How cold is it? They don't need any heater unless you live where it goes considerably below zero, just to be draft free. You can make a huddle box, like a tote on its side do they can go in and warm it up with body heat.
If you have a respiratory problem, tylan is what most people recommend but I'm not sure on dosage. You can prevent issues by making sure your coop has good ventilation and low dust bedding and no de.
It is about 33 degree F right now. It is definitely draft-free from outside. I have used Tylan 50 orally, but I'm starting to wonder if injection will be more effective.

I think I need to change the bedding. I currently use pine pellet bedding, water it to make it into the shavings. I have seen people leave it at pellets. I thought about that but thought it seemed... cold.

It is about 33 degree F right now. It is definitely draft-free from outside. I have used Tylan 50 orally, but I'm starting to wonder if injection will be more effective.

I think I need to change the bedding. I currently use pine pellet bedding, water it to make it into the shavings. I have seen people leave it at pellets. I thought about that but thought it seemed... cold.
A huddle box is best, no chance of fire, no electricity, no shock if it goes off suddenly. And silkies can fly just about as well as I can so low is good. I'm not sure on the tylan, sorry.
Edit, heres a huddle box at the bottom of this thread.https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mid-michigan-moving-chicks-outside.1522277/#post-25672840

Last edited:
A huddle box is best, no chance of fire, no electricity, no shock if it goes off suddenly. And silkies can fly just about as well as I can so low is good. I'm not sure on the tylan, sorry.
Edit, heres a huddle box at the bottom of this thread.https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mid-michigan-moving-chicks-outside.1522277/#post-25672840
Perfect, thank you!!

Hello! I have a bunch of silkies and seramas. They have a sneeze, and I need help with what to give to them and how much. I have heard of injectable and oral medicine. I have done oral before, is injectable easier?

Also, I have a sweeter heater, but they won't sit under it... what other types of heaters do you have that aren't too expensive but work and are safe?

Thank you!

How much ventilation do you have?

Sneezing can be from many things, not just respiratory illness. Does your coop smell of ammonia when you open the door? Dust from shavings/bedding and chicken dander can also be a cause of sneezing every once in while. Feed clogging up the nostrils... Often we tend to want to close up windows and flock air flow in winter to keep chickens warmer, but they need plenty of ventilation.

Injectable Tylan50 can be given orally. If you inject 3 times a day, that's 15 needle sticks over the course of a 5 day treatment. You risk injection sight necrosis. Give it orally instead if you feel they need medication. Dose is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row. Here's how https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

If giving orally is not possible and you are treating everyone instead of just symptomatic birds, then you can purchase Tylosin (Tylan soluble) which goes in the flock's drinking water. https://allbirdproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-generic

Back
Top Bottom