Looking For High End Hands Off Incubation - After Disaster With Low End Incubator

massoumicyrus

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 21, 2014
Dealing with Ayam Cemani's (extremely expensive chicken)

-- Tried to incubate them in a $50 incubator from the local hathery... All that I was monitoring was the heat and I can't say that the thermostat that I used was entirely accurate, I'm more keen to say that the humidity was an issue also.

Regardless, I'm looking for something that's not $50 ---- but not terribly expensive --- where it's more straight forward to monitor what's going on.

Getting tons of eggs that are going to waste - and I'd like to start hatching them out.

Any help on how to do this most easily - and with the most "automated" approach - would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
-CM

I'm looking for something that monitors temperature and humidity(if needed?) without me having to use external tools (like putting my own heat gauge in there).

Does this do that?

I'm really looking for something that's plug and play... Turns the eggs, I can make sure the heat is right, on a schedule to put a certain amount of water in to monitor humidity.

I was very disheartened last time around as I had some "near" hatches that were so close to life it was a bit disturbing for me.

Advice appreciated.

Regards,

There is a new Brinsea model that comes with a humidity pump, so it basically does everything for you. @Yorkshire coop has one I believe. The model I used required nothing more from me than filling the water reservoirs now and then and take it off the automatic turner when the eggs were ready to hatch. I had 90-100% hatches every time.

I suggest glass aquarium thermometers from Wally World. Don't trust a thermostat. I place a couple of them at various locations where they can be viewed without opening incubator. They are under 2 dollars a piece. Monitor and adjust temp for a day or 2. If big fluctuations in temps take the incubator back and get another one.

Sumi: Can you link me to it. The one you're talking about sounds extremely promising.

So, manages heat, manages humidity - Just stop the turning before hatching - That sounds perfect for me.

As an aside - saw you're an admin - was wondering if you have any insight on Ayam Cemani - extremely high cull rate from what I can gather --- how is it that Greenfire is able to sell day old chicks - yet I've read other places that Ayam Cemani farmers cull 75%+ of their chicks? Whatsup with that? I bought 2 from them, juveniles, totally satisfied. But, don't know what to make of this day old thing.

If anyone else has any suggestions on higher end incubators that are hands off that would be appreciated.

Am dealing with expensive chickens, and, aside from that, not comfortable ending up with what looked like nearly formed chicks that didn't make it - fault being my own.

Regards,
-CM

Hi there @massoumicyrus :frow

I have the Brinsea octagon 20 advance EX. It is totally set and forget, all you have to do is top up the water under the pump a couple of times and that's it. It holds temp and humidity well and you really don't have to anything. Set it and forget until day 18. Brinsea do the humidity control on most of their incubators right up to the big cabinet incubators.

Back
Top Bottom