looking for homemade sausage recipes

geepy

Songster
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
central FL
We have a couple of pigs we are going to butcher and I'm looking for some sausage recipes. My hubby loves jimmy dean sage sausage and I've been messing with some recipes but I'm missing something.
idunno.gif

We're going to grind most of the meat so I'm looking different things to do with it.
Any ideas would be great.

I buy a mix for 25 pounds of meat from Leggs Old Plantation I can get it locally at save a lot but the website for all their spices is www.columbiaspice.com you can also try thespicysausage.com they have recipes for all kinds of sausage. Hope this helps you can also google fresh sausage recipes on line and see what you get.

I've made Alton Brown's Breakfast sausage recipe several time and really like it. Could it be that you are missing some brown sugar or cayenne pepper in your recipe?

If you are getting your pork already ground, then I would suggest that you put about two and a half pounds spread out in a 9x13 pan, sprinkle the seasonings over the ground pork, cover with plastic wrap, then set in the fridge for an hour or so. After this you would blend the pork well with the spices using your hands, then take about a TB of the sausage, make a little patty, fry it until done, cool and taste it for seasonings. Then you can add more cayenne or sage, salt or black pepper, whatever you think is missing. You can use dried sage and thyme in this recipe, about a heaping 1/2 t. each.

Alton Brown's Breakfast Sausage

2 pounds pork butt (2 1/2 pounds with bone), diced into 1/4-inch pieces
1/2 pound fat back, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage leaves
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Combine diced pork with all other ingredients and chill for 1 hour. Using the fine blade of a grinder, grind the pork. (Make a small sample patty, fry, taste for seasonings.) Form into 1-inch rounds. Refrigerate and use within 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months. For immediate use, saute patties over medium-low heat in a non-stick pan. Saute until brown and cooked through, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom