Looking for info on blackhead, I heard it is only in certain areas

Kelsey2017

Songster
8 Years
Jan 30, 2011
Two Harbors, MN
Is blackhead a problem everywhere? I had heard that it is not a problem in all parts of the US. I live in northern Minnesota and my place has had chickens on it only for three years. The barn I will be brooding my turkeys has not had chickens in it for two years now. How long can it (I am not even sure what 'it' is) live in the soil? I am planning on Bourbon Reds, Thanks in advance!

Hey Kelsey,

I live just outside of Duluth and keep my chickens, turkeys and peafowl all together with no problems. That being said "it works for me." I know of others that do it here as well, but not sure if that means a lot. I'm guessing that if your chickens were shipped from an area with blackhead then they may be carriers. Someone with more knowledge can correct me on this since I'm no expert by any means. Do they test chickens for blackhead??? So far for me it has not been an issue. I did get all my birds from down around Askov except for one rooster from up by Chisholm and two hen turkeys I hatched myself. The other 11 birds from a mixed flock of chickens, turkeys, peafowl and guineas had all lived through a number of generations (15 years) together at the place down by Askov with no problems. If your bird are local I doubt that it would be a problem, but if any of your birds are shipped from other areas it still could be an issue. After saying all that follow Steve's advice. When I started I was too much of a newbie to even know to check and got lucky. Check with the local Ag Rep.

I'm in North Dakota and haven't had problems. As for how long 'it' can live in the soil, it's a protozoan parasite and doesn't actually 'live' in the soil itself. It can be picked up by earthworms eating the infected poop and spread that way. Chickens aren't the only way that it spreads, it's just that chickens can have it and show no symptoms. Wild gamebirds can spread it, too. In addition to asking your local ag folks about it, you can also check with others in the area that raise gamebirds and see if they have problems. I know Dept of Ag in MN has pretty tough regulations on gamebirds, so hopefully they would be knowlegable if it's around. ND doesn't have a Poultry Testing Agent course, they tell interested folks to go to MN to take the course. I went to MN for it and was pretty impressed with your Ag folks there.

Good luck, I hope everything works out for you!

Quote:
Quote:
wink.png

Below is information that was sent to me from my local county extension office. The rep I communicated with has not heard of any reported cases in our area however they still recommend taking precautions. I hope this helps!

60195_blackhead_disease_001.jpg

60195_blackhead_disease_002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom