All 12 of my poults are still doing well today. The two previously droopy poults are much improved today and no longer droopy. They had all still been eating and drinking even when the two droopy ones appeared ill, but I noticed they hadn't went through all of their feed Sunday or yesterday like they normally do. Today their appetite is back to normal and all of their feed from yesterday was completely gone and they all acted super hungry when I filled their bowls. I looked their pen over well and didnt see any sulfur colored droppings. No runny droppings, all solid and normal looking. No abnormal cecal droppings.

I am so relieved my turkeys have survived! Tomorrow is day 5 of their metronidazole and baytril treatment but I may keep a lower maintainence dose of metronidazole in their water for a week or two just until I'm satisfied they are completely out of the woods. That was the recommendation by my friend Julie's vet when her royal palms poults got blackhead.

It has been pouring the rain and I did my chores quickly so I didn't get any pictures.

:wee

All poults still alive and well. Today is day 5 of their metronidazole and enrofloxacin regimen. I do plan on keeping them on a lower maintainence dose for at least a week longer. All poults were happily putting and purring today, and all are eating well. None are droopy. No sulfur colored or abnormal poops. All seems to be well with them now.

All 12 are still alive and well. Ruger is back to displaying and the jakes have been gobbling today so they all must feel better. Lol

20230623_165604.jpg

Thank you for your post.
Where can I get the metronidazole and other medications?
You're welcome! I ordered aquazole (metronidazole) 500 mg tablets in the 60 count bottles on ebay. I also got the enrofloxacin water soluble powder for birds and the 1liter Safeguard liquid goat dewormer on ebay as well.

Stay stocked up and stay keen on beginning treatment early. They are goners if you don't have meds on hand and have to wait until meds arrive by mail to begin treatment. You have hours in some cases, not days as evidenced by my experience.

And don't rely on sulfur colored poops to begin treatment. Sulfur colored stools were a late symptom in my case. They were literally dying by the time the sulfur colored stools started. I didn't see one sulfur colored poop the day before I lost the jake. And only 1 sulfur colored poop about 30 minutes before I lost my jenny. I have only seen a few formed poops with sulfur colored caps on them since beginning treatment and have lost no more birds.

If you see droopy wings, lethargy, sleepiness, indifference to being handled, and reduced appetite... begin treatment promptly if blackhead is in your area.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom