LOOKING FOR INFO ON ROOSTER BEHAVIOR????

newchickens2009

Songster
12 Years
May 18, 2009
BAHAMAS
GOOD MORNING FROM THE BAHAMAS, I HAVE A DOMINIQUE ROOSTER THAT A FRIEND GAVE ME. HE IS IN A COOK WITH 3 HENS. HE STARTS CROWING BETWEEN 5:30 - 6 AM EVERY MORING AND DOSEN'T SHUT UP ALL DAY! SOMETIMES HE CROWS EVERY 5-10 SECONDS FOR 5 MINUTES WITHOUT STOPPING. IS THIS NORMAL? OR IS THIS JUST OF THE DOMINIQUE BREED? I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING TO QUITE HIM EVEN LEAVING HIM CLOSED UP IN THE DARK COOP, BUT HE STILL STARTS CROWING BEFORE DAYLIGHT. CAN I FIND ANOTHER BREED OF ROOSTER THAT DOSEN'T CROW SO MUCH? HE DOSEN'T BOTHER ME BUT MY NEIGHBOUR SAYS SOMETIMES HE SOUNDS LIKE A "MACHINE GUN"! :) HAHA! ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! GOD BLESS AND HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

Most roosters crow. It just means they are happy.
One fella in there with his very own hens, he is probably a happy fella. There isnt a thing you can do to shut him up except get rid of him. Sorry.

If he is new to your coop, he may be crowing a bit more than usual just because he is telling the whole neighborhood that he is there and is the king of his territory. Any roo would do the same. If no roos are answering him, he may quiet down. And, he may calm down a bit once he gets busy with doing things. Make sure he has food to show his hens, bits of fruit and veggies, raisins,sunflower seeds. Suggest a fan turned on high for the white noise to your neighbor. I mean heck! Kids outside sometimes get noisy, too, as do lawnmowers, etc. He should quiet down. Mine usually crow in the a.m., periodically in the afternoon and at dusk or if they hear an intruder. He may also get used to all the things he is seeing as new or perceiving as an intruder also.

I have quite a few too many Roo's and mine crow all day sometimes it seems all night
smile.png

Mine have a cycle Big turken dinner first and then another and then another and they will do this ALL DAY....
sometimes one will start to crow and another will run over and grab some feathers and all ya get is a funny squeak.
I think he will calm down after he gets use to You and his new home. Good luck and be paitent ohh yah and i would bring the neighbors a dozen egss just to sweeten them up a bit..
Works for mine.
big_smile.png

I HOPE HE CALMS DOWN SOON? MAYBE THEN THINGS WILL BE BETTER. MY NEIGHBOURS AREN'T ASKING ME TO GET RID OF HIM BUT HE IS A LITTLE ANOYING TO THEM AND I DON'T WANT TO CAUSE ANY STRESS. JUST WANT TO HATCH A FEW CHICKS EVERY NOW AND AGAIN WITH MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE AND GREAT SON. THANKS FOR THE INFO AND GOD BLESS YOU!

Back
Top Bottom