Looking for list

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
Premium Feather Member
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
Hello! Currently, i am building a very big coop. Meanwhile, looking for a serama (or serama sized bantam) and possibly another bantam.

But once the coop is finished, i have a little list of chickens that i would like to get at some point (not all, just a few.) If anyone has any, please let me know! I will not be looking for these now, but later on if all works well.
Im really just looking for females.

Delaware
Burmese bantam
Breda
La Fleche
Ayam Cemani (though the price is very high, so probably not.)

I have Delawares and I love em. They're friendly, and grow bigger faster than any other breed I've raised.
image000000(4).jpg

Thats good to know then. Im into those mostly for the looks, not value. It would be very cool to own one.
They're striking but fair warning- they're not very productive and the eggs are smallish. It's best to buy birds that are at least 4-6 months old so you can be sure that they're uniformly black; many backyard breeders end up with birds that have mulberry combs and wattles, pink/white toes, pink/yellow mouths or tongues, etc. Also, some people have apparently attempted to reinvigorate the fibromelanistic qualities by breeding in black Silkies. I recently saw "purebred Ayam Cemanis" with 5 toes and feathered legs, and the seller defended it by saying that AC's aren't a recognized breed so they don't really conform to a particular standard.

I had AC's for a while and, aside from the shock value of inky black chickens, they weren't worth it to me.

They're striking but fair warning- they're not very productive and the eggs are smallish. It's best to buy birds that are at least 4-6 months old so you can be sure that they're uniformly black; many backyard breeders end up with birds that have mulberry combs and wattles, pink/white toes, pink/yellow mouths or tongues, etc. Also, some people have apparently attempted to reinvigorate the fibromelanistic qualities by breeding in black Silkies. I recently saw "purebred Ayam Cemanis" with 5 toes and feathered legs, and the seller defended it by saying that AC's aren't a recognized breed so they don't really conform to a particular standard.

I had AC's for a while and, aside from the shock value of inky black chickens, they weren't worth it to me.
The egg bit is fine by me, but your very right. I had a Hedemora that looked black as night for the longest time and then he suddenly turned mulberry.

I heard there was two delaware types, is that right? Or just one?

They are very pretty!

I do believe some hatcheries sell a chicken that they call a Delaware that's actually a cross and doesn't breed true. Meaning they will not produce offspring of like appearance. I bought my first ones from Hoovers Hatchery, I have improved them.. but they breed true from the start.

Back
Top Bottom