1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for meat rabbits....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by vkp23, Sep 9, 2009.

1. vkp23

vkp23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    My house
    I was wondering if it was possible to find a place that will ship meat rabbits like how a hatchery ships chick? Any one know. If you're selling meat rabbits I live in Ga if that is of any relevance.

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Get Storey's book on raising rabbits by Bennet, I think his name is. There are suggestions on getting breeding rabbits in there. And yes, people do ship rabbits.

3. Carolina Chicken Man

Carolina Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I live in NC, and our state fair is coming up in October. There are usually plenty of rabbits being shown and sold there. I would assume that GA has a state fair? That might be your best bet to meet local breeders

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I have a bunch of awesome New Zealand White meat rabbits, but it's REALLY expensive to ship mammals. I asked a local rabbit breeder and she said it costs like $200. You have to get the shipping box, health certifercates and you have to drive them to an airport that will ship them, which is about 3 hours away! This is all second hand information, so I'd love to be wrong!

5. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Unfortunately SouthernBelle, you have the shipping info right. You're looking at $200, maybe more, for shipping rabbits via air. I don't know of a ground service shipping, unless you can find a person or two for your rabbits to hitch a ride with.

6. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Go to the ARBA website and do a breeder search for your area. You should be able to find people who specialize in what you want.

7. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    look on kijiji or craigslist--whatever is popular in your area. that is how I found mine. Peole will post theire excess, or ou can ask for what you are looking for.

8. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Where are you located? Someone close to you might be able to help you.

9. mekasmom

mekasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Can't you just go to a farmers market? They sell live rabbits at auction. They run less than five dollars around here. Last week a chinchilla colored rabbit want for seven-fifty, but the rest were two and three dollars.

10. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Meat rabbits sell for $4.99/lb around here. Or $10-15 alive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by