Looking for my first car 8/

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Aframechickens191, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Aframechickens191

Aframechickens191 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    I am going to be 18 in just a few short weeks here, and I have encountered a small problem...

I have patiently waited to get my liscense until my 18th so I wouldnt have to pay in money and time for drivers-ed. thats how it works here in Ohio anyways...now the thing is I dont have a vehicle yet and I just cant decide where to get my first one or what it should be!!! [​IMG]

I would really love to have a small extended cab truck: I have a lot of people that I will be giving rides to and I need something to haul hay, straw, wood, and trailers with that will get me through college....

ive been looking on craigslist, kelly blue book, and even ebay.....no luck. So, anybody have any ideas, advice, or even offers for me??? I am borderline desperate; I cant afford very much so car shopping is always depressing [​IMG]

thanks to anyone who replies [​IMG]

2. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    What advice have your parents offered? Spend some time doing research on reliability issues, and don't go with the first vehicle that makes you feel all fuzzy inside. Just remember that even a sidestreet, buy here, pay here carlot details their vehicles to look like a million dollars.

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I LOVE my Chevy Aveo. I can't pull a trailer with it, but I LOVE it.

I haul feed, hay, birds...poo...all sorts of stuff in it. I call it my "farm car."

But, if you're really after a truck, maybe try just googling a broad idea of what you want and put in your zip code. It will help narrow down the field and will hopefully get you a truck nearby.

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    For a small truck that will haul a small trailer...look at the slightly older Nissans and Toyotas. They'll go forever, and are economical on fuel in comparison to other trucks. Yeah, they aren't really a truck truck, but they get the job done. Since money is an issue, they are relatively inexpensive used. It's the only kind of vehicle I would ever buy with more than 100k miles already on it. They are decent little trucks, but not powerful, so you'd have to be careful hauling trailers, but it could work. Good luck on the car shopping! On another note...used cars in other neighboring states may be slightly cheaper. I buy in Mississippi, but live in Tennessee. I generally save about $500 by going out of state to purchase vehicles. I don't know why MS is so much cheaper, but it tends to be that way, and I am happy with that [​IMG] Check out some of the neighboring states prices and take comparison notes. It may be worth the effort and the drive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by