Looking for new/used hovabator

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by kbbeale, Feb 7, 2009.

1. kbbeale

kbbeale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    Yeah, long shot, I know. Nothing on my craigslist, other than some cabinet incubators and I've decided that's just too much for me - wont ever use that much 'space' LOL

If no one has one for sale here, where is the best place to get the best price? I'd really like the hovabator with the picture window so I could use it for the hatcher, but I have a hard time paying $40+ extra just to see better. I have a hovabator and auto turner already - looking for a hatcher now.

Thanks,
    K

2. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Double R Discount supply has the brand new 1602 models for 60 bucks...that includes the shipping. I just bought a new one off ebay for 55 bucks total.
    Check ebay....and Double R.
    [​IMG]

3. lesterlu

lesterlu Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    maine
    is hovabator the best? and is the 1602 a good model?

i am looking, too, Double R sounds like a good price, i thought they were like a hundred bucks.

oh gee, i just read further, does one need a hatcher AND an incubator? ok back to the incubating and hatching forum for me!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have four hovabator 1602s, three with turners. I would DEFINITELY spring for the turner. I wish they had a fan. I find I need to rotate the eggs, from inner to outer area, or some develop poorly and don't hatch. They seem to hold temp great in a stable room, but about a week before the chicks hatch, their own matabolic heat they produce can really cause spikes the last few days before you remove them to the hatcher for laying down. You gotta also keep an eye on the water. I try to check at least three times a day, first thing in the morning, early afternoon or whenever it gets warm all of a sudden on a nice day (so cal here) and again in the evening before bed time. Hope this helps.

5. kbbeale

kbbeale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    I would recommend an incubator and hatcher. It's just easier that way. I'd optimally like the hovabator with the picture window, or a genesis. We live near Randall Burkey Co., so I'm going to have my DH swing by his place to see about the picture window one, and how easy it would be for us to install a fan. I want to use it for the hatcher, so we can see better.

6. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
  7. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    Thimk about how many times a day the hatching hen rolls her eggs around (with her beak)?. Does she flip them end to end or sideways? If they are hand (beak) rolled to the side each day, does she turn them EXACTLY to the other side? How long does she leave the nest to eat each day? Ever seen a hen STANDING UP over her eggs to allow them to cool? I love to watch a setting hen.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  8. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Got mine at Cutler Supply and with shipping it was cheaper than that.[​IMG]

9. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Yep. Ditto on Cutler supply. Best price I've found (and I LOOKED...)

10. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Yup, I paid $172.45, and that was the 1588, 1610 and shipping all wrapped together. Plus, the customer service at Cutlersupply was amazing, and I had ordered on Tuesday and had the incubator set up and running on Thursday night (wanted to let it warm up before plugging it in). Definately check into Cutlers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by