Looking for opinions on white hens

JohnsonHomestead

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 15, 2011
Out in the sticks
I bought some light yellow chicks from Atwoods about 3 years ago and they grew into some hefty white hens, that lay an off large-huge white egg. Would guess they weigh about 6-8 pounds now, that had me thinking they were white rocks. I have them in with what I was told are Production reds. I recently hatch some eggs from this group, the light brown to dark brown eggs produced chicks that looked like the production red chicks when I bought them(all but one anyway) and the white eggs produced white/yellow chicks with black dots on 90% of them. I have been told that the black spots mean leghorn. Never knew Leghorn hens got up to such a hefty size. My understanding is all the chicks I bought both red and white came from Ideal Poultry. Any help clearing up what I have in my flock would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the Pro Red Roo and a light hen.

Here is a shot of a darker red and the big whites, any reddish color you might see on the whites would be from dirt bathing.

and these are the chicks at 3 weeks

idunno.gif
what the hens are, maybe some cross bred, Although I didn't know Ideal sold any croosbred other than their sexlinks, and those do not look like sexlinks to me.

They are most definately pretty, though.

I was trying to see if anyone knew if the black spots showing up on white chicks was a genetic marker for other breeds other than leghorn. From the size of the hens I wondered if they might be a cornish cross, has anyone had cornishX hens get to egg production if so what egg colors have you seen ? or hatch any eggs from cornish x stock?

Quote:
Ideal 236 (agreed).

Maybe, but their weight is still a good deal over what they are saying the 236 would be, but I guess I could just feed my girls better, lol
who knows, lol

from Ideals page
Quote:

Quote:
California White?....I have one, she lays white eggs, one every day since she reached POL!

68634_dsc_0280.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
would you say pure white or off white, how much would you say she weighs? because she does look alot like mine did when they were younger, mine are going on 4 years, with their love of dirt bathing and the red clay dirt we have around here they can look more like a BIG production reds sometimes.

She looks like our California White. They do lay white eggs. Also, some get gray or black spots. As a chick, ours had a black spot, then when her feathers came in the spot dissapeared. Now they are coming back in (she's 4 1/2 months) and they are gray.

Back
Top Bottom