Looking for penedesencas and empordanesas

There are a few hatcheries that sell Partridge.
I've only known of two people with Empordanesas and I don't know if they still have them. White is the only variety ever imported into the US.
Hello! I wanted to drop you a line letting you know the eight Blacks are doing great. I am ready to move them into my intro coop very soon. Right now I have them in the nicely warmed basement and they are feathered over ready to go. You were right when you reminded me how skittish they are, even more than my Partridges. The fact they are bunking with three Andalusians doesn't help... Anywho, if you ever learn of any one of the leads you have on Empordanesas are still in business, let me know. As @QuijoteK said, Privett has a 25 chick minimum but my local feed store's (Kahoots) manager told me once he'd order what I wanted to be included in his bulk orders of more common breeds. I'm gonna take him up on the offer. BTW, the Empordanesas are not on the Privett website as an available breed, but they are listed in the pricing link under "EXTREMELY Rare Breeds". They assured me they will be available in the spring... at 25 chick minimum.🙄

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that. They list Empordanesa, Crele Penedesenca and Penedesenca, not specifying which of the other 3 varieties of Penedesenca that is.

Well, I called and Previtt told me the Empordanesas will NOT be available in 2021!! Not good. That leaves Summer Rose Farms and Welp. Welp removed them from the site and SRF never returns phone calls, emailed or messages on their site. I’m open for suggestions...

Last edited:
The lady said "only the Crele." Then again I did not ask if any other Penedesencas were available. There are some hatcheries who list them as "Penedesenca" and leave off the Partridge. I'll wager they are the latter.

Last edited:
Very true. They probably wager that no one knows anything about them so they can just market the breed with no reference to the variety. The characteristics of all varieties is basically the same except the fact that the blacks are about a pound or so larger. I was starting to get some hefty roosters and had some predator break ins. I'm hoping to get back to where I was a few years ago with rooster size and egg color.

Back
Top Bottom