Looking for perfect bird species for me

Doves would be perfect for you. As you can see from my signature I am a sucker for macaws! But they are definately noisy and messy but my 5 talk non stop to one another it sounds like women chatting ha ha. My u2 is 18 years old and doesn't talk but the citron 2 does a little. Good luck on finding your perfect feathered friend!

I'm really liking the diamond doves. They seem like sweet little birds. I'll have to check around MN to see if there is any breeders around here. I really don't want to get one from Petsmart if I don't have to.

Diamond Doves are skittish as they come. My dad had 2. They turned into 26 in the course of 3 years. Now I have 26 of these things in another room going hoo hoo hoohoohooo?!?!?! all day. They make babies up the wazoo. They spook over everything. Their calls are adorable but they too are messy. They throw their seed around everywhere.

I fell in love with diamond doves so I've been talking to everyone about them. They can be completely hand tamed but they are a bit sensitive. They don't like change so moving them to someone else's house to watch them while you are gone doesn't really work. Even having a stranger come take care of them is stressful.

We have both ringneck doves and linnies in our indoor bird room. The linnies are the quietest, although if they can contact call quite loudly if they get separated, and they do make a racket when we take them in to the vet to get their toenails trimmed. Linnie droppings are quite squirty and liquid. They are adorable, sweet birds! They love to take rain baths and hang upside down in the cage as we squirt them with warm water. Their beaks are not strong enough to give much of a bite even if they wanted to. We split their grapes in half for them because they can't break through the grape skins on their own.

The cooing of the ringneck doves is very pleasant and soothing. They are very easy to tame and we let them loose to "free range" all day in the bird room.

Linnies and doves both make wonderful pets. Linnies are quite a bit more expensive, though. Ours cost around $200 each, while our doves cost $10 each.

Back
Top Bottom