Looking for pics of double-dose frizzle gene

LTygress

Songster
7 Years
Sep 12, 2012
I know that a double-dose of the frizzle gene produces a chicken with super-curly and fragile feathers. I know it's not necessarily deadly, but that a double-dose frizzle chicken could be more exposed to elements than a normal chicken because of the breaking feathers. I'm pretty familiar with the genetics themselves, and even created a Punnett Square for others to use (see it here).

But I'm looking for photos of what a double-dose Frizzle chicken looks like. Either as a young chick just getting his feathers in, or as an older chicken already crowing or laying eggs. I'm trying to get as many as possible to gather for an educational presentation. So please post all the pics you can of a double-dose Frizzle chicken!

Below are pictures of three double copy frizzle bantam Cochins. They were hatchery chicks from MacMurray Hatchery, three out of four were double-copy, one of the four was single copy frizzle, no smooth feathered birds. I was expecting half frizzled and half smooth. One double copy died suddenly (crop issues I hadn't noticed?). The frizzle (single copy) died in a dog attack.

The top picture of the pullet was taken when she was six months old, just a month ago. Since that time, most of her feathers have broken or fallen out and she is a mess again. The second bird has feathered out but I expect his feathers will start breaking and falling out. These birds are a mess! Whoever decided to put two frizzled birds into a breeding pen is an idiot!

This is the same pullet as the top picture I posted some time ago. Life and the apron I put on her to protect her have broken all her feathers. Just picking her up gently breaks feathers. You can see that all that is left of many of her feathers are the curly shafts. She now lives in my kitchen since it is too cold and she is too fragile to live outside. Let her pictures be a warning to never breed frizzle to frizzle. No, I did not breed her. I bought her and the others as "frizzled Cochins."

Thank you for sharing. I was just beginning to explore hatching some of my frizzle's eggs when she starts laying. I'm going to skip that and be sure I only hatch other hens' eggs. I just found out a few days ago that I have a frizzle roo. I'm going to let him spend some quality time with my silver spangled hamburg and see what they come up with instead.

Thank you for sharing. I was just beginning to explore hatching some of my frizzle's eggs when she starts laying. I'm going to skip that and be sure I only hatch other hens' eggs. I just found out a few days ago that I have a frizzle roo. I'm going to let him spend some quality time with my silver spangled hamburg and see what they come up with instead.

I would never breed two frizzles together. The double copy frizzles are a real mess. There is so much wrong with them. They don't live long I'm told.

I know this post is quite old but i am looking for all the help i can get. We had accidental chicks. (My hens hid eggs and i did not know where. This is 100% my fault for not looking harder) I have 2 smooth silkie girls and 2 frizzled girls. My roo is a frizzle. Now i have about 10 chicks that popped up. Is there any way to tell if they have the double frizzle gene at only a day or 2 old? Thanks for any advise given!

I'm hoping to get some help as well. We bought this frizzle from a breeder but the curls are looking more and more like the double frizzles that I've seen. Thoughts?
IMG_20170517_172135.jpg
IMG_20170517_172139.jpg
IMG_20170517_172133.jpg

Back
Top Bottom