Looking for Pregnant Guppy!

crystalchik

Songster
12 Years
Jan 15, 2008
Central Florida
I am looking for a pregnant guppy that is at least half way along. She doesnt need to be anything special; its just for observation purposes, but I can guarantee she will have a good home. I raise guppies but all of mine are babies and I need her to have them in about a 3 weeks! I would like her to have some prominant color because that is what I am looking for in the fry.
I have to do pick up and cannot ship: I am in Lady Lake Fl, thats in Lake County.
Thanks everyone!
Crystalchik

go to any pet store that sells fish. look for guppies. usualy they have them mixed boys girls together. if not.. just buy a boy and a girl. easy peasy lemon squeezy.
cool.png

aww.. My both of my female guppies just died
sad.png
Sorry, I would have given them to you, but all I have left are their offspring who are a wide variety of colors. I would check your local fish store. Look for the fattest female guppies you can find. Most stores don't separate males and females. Also, if you want to speed up the gestation, then raise the temp. of the water. This will only decrease the incubation time so the fry will arrive sooner. There is no ill effect to the fry.

i just bought 2 pregnant guppies from my pet store and lost the blue one already, ugg! the orange one is pretty big but not sure when she will have them. i can never get them to have babies and if they do i somehow loose them. i want babies!!

yep they were with males, usually they r so chances r any of them are pregnant is what they told me. if u look at the abdomen the pregnant females will have black abdomens, the further along they r the chubbier they r. non pregnant have clear or silver abdomens if i remember right.

they also told me once they r pregnant they can have up to 8 batches of babies without breeding the male again and usually once a guppy gets pregnant they never stop haveing them. i've never seen this but that's what the owner of the store told me.

Usually pet stores have a ton of pregnant guppies. I used to raise them. Had a bunch of Japanese Neon BlueGrass. They were really pretty fish with big blue tails, some yellow splashes and an occasional black spot here and there. Here's a short video clip I took of a mutt guppy I got from the pet store, giving birth to a fry . Might give you an idea of what to look for at the store for one that's about ready to pop.

Quote:
This is absolutely true. I've had guppies for about two years, and even when I lost the few males I had, I still would have babies. Female guppies are able to store sperm in their bodies from past matings.

From what my guppies have looked like, they are not necessarily black when they're pregnant. More like a dark brown/orange. I've seen the fry before in her abdomen, I saw an eye once!

You are most likely losing them from canibalism. The mothers can and WILL eat their babies. Either you get some decorations for them to hide in or separate them right after birth.

Find the fattest one in the pet store, they are almost always preggo. If she looks like she is going to pop, the sooner she will have them. Fry will be black or clearish for at least a month if not two or more, takes a good while for colors to really come in. Most pet store ones won't breed "pure" since they often don't control who they are living with and the females can store sperm for months. Only issue with guppies now a days is that they aren't quite as hardy as they used to be I hear, since they are popular and "cheap" they are bred like carp.

Put lots of plants in the tank. Loads of Java fern and hornwort will give lots of places for fry to hide, and when I say loads, fill up a wall in the back with the plants, not just one bunch. If you want them to get big fast, putting the babies in their own tank would be the best.

and if you know when the fish is supposed to hace the fry and she isnt, take her for a walk...seriously, put her in a ziplock bag with some of the water from the tank and take a walk do worry about moving the bag around that is what you are trying to do then about 10 minutes later put her back in the tank and you should VERY soon have babies...friend that owns a pet store told me this, its because of the adgitation(sp???) of the water makes her want to release the fry.

Back
Top Bottom