Looking For Recommendations On Organic Layer Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Awestruck, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Awestruck

Awestruck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    I will need to obtain some layering food pretty soon as my chickens are about 13 weeks now. Does anyone have good recommendations? I would prefer the soy-free kind.
    At what week do I change over? I have 5 chickens that are 2 weeks behind in age. Do I have to feed the older chickens separately or can I mix in the layering food with the pullet food until all are 16 weeks? How does that work?
    Thanks for all the help here!

2. ~KH~

~KH~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Southern CA
    I like Scratch & Peck. If it's not available locally, you can order it online, but if Azure Standard has a drop point near you, it's probably much less expensive to get it that way. I also have fed an organic pelletized feed, but can't remember what brand.

https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/brand/scratch-peck-feeds/946

3. MamaChick74

MamaChick74 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2017
    New Hampshire USA
    I like Natures Best they have starter, grower and layer and are gmo free. It does contain soy though. I would go to your local feed store and see what they have there.

4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Doesn't help right now, but Nature's Best is coming out with a soy-free pellets anytime now. I have several options here in PA, but don't know your location.

MamaChick74 likes this.
  5. Elyrian1

Elyrian1 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    I'd keep them on the chick feed until they start laying eggs, won't hurt them and it'll take out some of the guesswork for you, then switch them all over, I wouldn't worry about a two week age gap.

As for feed, I haven't found a soy free, store bought feed that was also organic... The options around here are surprisingly limited. Only one brand on the shelf is organic and its $25 for 35lbs think it's NatureWise something like that from Murdochs... Everything else at local feed stores works out to about the same rate per pound. So I started hunting... found a family farm not too far from where I live that sells excess from their grain mill deliveries at a much more reasonable price. I have yet to acquire any grain from them, waiting for the weekend when I can drag my muscular DH along with me to do the heavy lifting, but I would recommend you check around your area for options like that (found mine on craigslist of all places). Not only is it cheaper, but you get the added benefit of supporting other farmers and what not in your area. win win

6. Awestruck

May 15, 2012
    I'm in a co op with New Country Organics, and it sounds like a good deal because we will save on shipping (shipping for the layer feed I would order costs almost as much as the feed). However, the person who does the ordering is waiting on someone to place her order before they send the order in. I have not ordered with this co op yet, so I am not familiar with how it works. I don't know how long this wait is going to be, and I am going to need the food soon. I went to the web site and like I said, the postage for what I want to order is really high. So, either I will have to find something in the mean time, or wait it out for whenever this person is ready to order from the co op. I would rather just have something now for the chickens. I could be waiting a long time, I have a feeling.

7. igorsMistress

igorsMistress Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    In my area Azure Standard has drop offs every week or two. It's a simple online order and you pick the drop point.

8. Awestruck

May 15, 2012
    OK thanks for all of your replies. I will check the feed stores first, and will not be in a big hurry. I checked the Azure, and they do have a pick up point, but it is really far away from where I live, which is disappointing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by