Looking for some breeding info as a chicken noob

One issue about breeding: There are breeders who have a pair or trio of a certain breed, and set themselves up for breeding, selling everything they produce.

Then, there are serious breeders, who buy quality stock, breed extensively, and cull extensively. Every season, they may produce 100 chicks, but only have 5 of those chicks which are worthy of keeping in the flock as future breeders to work towards the goal of improving the quality of birds.

IMO, it's important to decide what your goals are before you get too deep into the production of your birds.

Honestly I ended up with a couple breeding pair of what I guess are more popular breeds around here. There is one particular breed however that if I was going to seriously do it I would pick and that would be the swedish flower hens . I just love the one I have now her disposition is fabulous ,she's gorgeous ,great producer and I hear the roo's are really nice too . Holy cow I think I just made a decision lol

One issue about breeding: There are breeders who have a pair or trio of a certain breed, and set themselves up for breeding, selling everything they produce.

Then, there are serious breeders, who buy quality stock, breed extensively, and cull extensively. Every season, they may produce 100 chicks, but only have 5 of those chicks which are worthy of keeping in the flock as future breeders to work towards the goal of improving the quality of birds.

IMO, it's important to decide what your goals are before you get too deep into the production of your birds.

Breeding Advice: Definitely start small, and see if you like it. It is easy to go overboard and build tons of pens and get into debt acquiring more birds...pick one, buy top stock (Greenfire Farms may still be selling Swedish Flour Hens and they are cream of the crop. Check them out for other ultra-rare breeds as well; they are the best in the Nation). To start out, if you don't want to invest in absolute best stock, find a breeder. Do NOT expect quality from hatchery chicks. Get at least 3 hens per roo and see what happens. Decide if you want to leave hatching up to your mama hens or if you want to incubate. It's good to have a 'bator in case a hen doesn't go broody or if she abandons her nest. If you are in trial mode, no need to buy a top-of-the-line industrial bator, some cheap good ones are out there (see reviews on this site). Go through a few hatches on your own and then decide if you want to increase. If so pick your best chicks and go from there. Periodically you will have to invest in outside birds to expand your gene pool; line breeding can't go on forever. There's lots to it but...start with a few birds and see what you think! Of course, we're all here to help. <3

The breeder I got my current ladies from are greenfire farm lines but if direct from the source is better I'll do that . Oh and I know my way around the green fire farm website lolol it's my internet chicken eye candy lololol
My girl Sweetie below

Breeding Advice: Definitely start small, and see if you like it. It is easy to go overboard and build tons of pens and get into debt acquiring more birds...pick one, buy top stock (Greenfire Farms may still be selling Swedish Flour Hens and they are cream of the crop. Check them out for other ultra-rare breeds as well; they are the best in the Nation). To start out, if you don't want to invest in absolute best stock, find a breeder. Do NOT expect quality from hatchery chicks. Get at least 3 hens per roo and see what happens. Decide if you want to leave hatching up to your mama hens or if you want to incubate. It's good to have a 'bator in case a hen doesn't go broody or if she abandons her nest. If you are in trial mode, no need to buy a top-of-the-line industrial bator, some cheap good ones are out there (see reviews on this site). Go through a few hatches on your own and then decide if you want to increase. If so pick your best chicks and go from there. Periodically you will have to invest in outside birds to expand your gene pool; line breeding can't go on forever. There's lots to it but...start with a few birds and see what you think! Of course, we're all here to help. <3

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180422-221009.png
    Screenshot_20180422-221009.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
Also excellent advice thank you

So I listened to everyone 's advice and given most of my thought to my purpose. I live my life on a diet of pretty natural food ,rarely do I eat anything processed ,neither does my husband . I actually don't eat meat because I'm not a fan of all the antibiotics n such so I'd like to focus on raising the breed for their intended purpose lots of giant eggs and meat. I'd really like to see how fine I can tune the meat quality and start small ofcourse as suggested and then see if it's something of interest in the local small market here . We've got plenty of room for free range and hubbs won't mind because he gets to reap the benefits of tasty chickens !
Great help everyone thanks

Back
Top Bottom