Looking for some Goose Information

Quote:
Don't be too surprized if it starts to show more interest in your other geese this fall, of course by then your pilgrims will have their own flock set up and may not allow it around them. Geese are fairly smart and it will figure out that it isn't just a large chicken. I think you may be right on though it will be much more protective of your chickens than the average goose. When your chickens start to roost at night I wounder if it will try to roost too. I suppose it will stay out of the water, if it does you will need to mist or spray it so it preens and keeps its feathers in decent condition. Give us progress reports from time to time. I have read a bit about a lone goose raised with chickens or turkeys but nothing about a goose imprinted on chickens with other geese on the property. ~gd

Quote:
Hi, and
welcome-byc.gif
I came to this thread looking for info on geese guarding ducks and chicks. I see you are new so thought I'd say hi and welcome.
If I wasn't so far away I'd think about getting your. Im Michigan and don't know how one would ship/send geese to another state.
I only have 2 young Pekin ducks and 4 month old chickens and am wanting something big to guard them. DOn't know anything about it really so hope maybe some goose experts see this and answer me. ??
Can you get a mature goose, or need to get immature ones and raise them together?
WOuld one goose do the job with such a small flock, or is 2 a better choice?
And finally, does the sex matter? Females better guards than males due to maternal instinct or anything like that?
I know when it comes to dogs I always choose a female because they will spend their lives to guard you. (and vise versa)
thanks in advance for any responces.

I have 3 geese, a white Danish, Tufted Buff and a Chinese. I would have to say the white Danish and Tufted buff are the leaders. All the geese are leaders though (I also have 5 baby ducks). The Chinese is very calm and really enjoys my company. They all eat out of my hand, and my childrens hands (nicely). I am not sure the hierarchy yet but the geese may guard the ducks. The geese and ducks all get along quite nicely, the only complaining is when the big geese step on the ducks trying to get to the grass.

I have to admit that I really like the geese, they are very curious and verbal. The ducks are verbal too but are a bit more standoffish. I think the more time you invest in your pet the better the outcome. I sing and talk to them all the time. We go for walks to the pond for a swim and hit up the local dandelion patch. I give them treats as much as possible. We have a good relationship.

Good luck in picking a goose!

Quote:
Hey great info. I am going to a Chickenstock in 2 weeks and one guy has a 3 week old gosling and some due to be hatched for the event. They are White Chinese. Im trying to determine what I'll want before I get there.
I sort of got my ducks on a fluke, Id been reading and learning about chickens for over a year getting ready to own some, when 2 free ducklings showed up in the newspaper. I grabbed them. First owner was clearly imprinted on them and it took about 10 days of calling a chirpy whistle sound every time I walked out the back door with a treat in hand before they began responding.
Now I chirp and they chirp right back and come waddling. They do have personality and will eat from my hands now, but don't want to be picked up. I have to corner them to grab one.
So....I haven't been able to accurately sex them by genitalia because I don't want to scare them, I've discovered their soft call and the tail feathers beginning to show curl probably means both are fellers. HMMMMMM, I had wanted birds for eggs. But getting rid of them when you've let the grandkids name them might be difficult. What would I say? Oh, they up and flew away one day, by the way, we're eating chicken tonight!!
I've been making some cages to take along in case I get something new at the chicken trade event.
thanks for your help.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Hey great info. I am going to a Chickenstock in 2 weeks and one guy has a 3 week old gosling and some due to be hatched for the event. They are White Chinese. Im trying to determine what I'll want before I get there.
I sort of got my ducks on a fluke, Id been reading and learning about chickens for over a year getting ready to own some, when 2 free ducklings showed up in the newspaper. I grabbed them. First owner was clearly imprinted on them and it took about 10 days of calling a chirpy whistle sound every time I walked out the back door with a treat in hand before they began responding.
Now I chirp and they chirp right back and come waddling. They do have personality and will eat from my hands now, but don't want to be picked up. I have to corner them to grab one.
So....I haven't been able to accurately sex them by genitalia because I don't want to scare them, I've discovered their soft call and the tail feathers beginning to show curl probably means both are fellers. HMMMMMM, I had wanted birds for eggs. But getting rid of them when you've let the grandkids name them might be difficult. What would I say? Oh, they up and flew away one day, by the way, we're eating chicken tonight!!
I've been making some cages to take along in case I get something new at the chicken trade event.
thanks for your help.
big_smile.png

My crew needs to be cornered too, they don't like someone stooping over them maybe? When they are free ranging with me and I sit down they all come and sit beside me. The ducks even sit on my lap! They really don't mind being touched when you are down at their level. It makes a huge difference in the relationship too (like what super-nanny tells us :eek:)

Hi,

I have 4 Toulouse, one drake and 3 girls. I bought them from a private party about 8 months ago. They were between 6 months and a year old when I brought them home. They are simply charming and for the most part very quiet. They will now eat from my hand. During the day, I will yell from the house and the drake will talk back. I will sit on a lawn chair in their yard and they will come to me to hang out. I've read that this breed is one of the best for the table, but these guys are safe. Much of the time these guys free range, except at night, and they forage very well. They are very good at keeping the yards mowed. They have been friendly to anyone that visits and they are not one bit afraid of my 2 year old German Shepherd dog. They haven't been in any fights yet, but they don't like my Muscovy ducks... not yet.

My sense is, if it's important to you, Toulouse are neighbor friendly, as they don't tend to scream all day or get upset without a clear reason.

I have 4 African browns. They are only 8 weeks old. They are high energy right now, but they are just kids. They eat from my hands and they seem to like being held. When I introduced them to the adult Toulouse yesterday, they stayed by my side, as if they wanted dad's protection. I have read that they make great guard geese, but that in general, they can be very noisy. I like farm noises, own 5 acres in the country, have been here for nearly 30 years, so if I get complaints, I'll likely buy pigs and a dozen roosters. LOL I look forward to their adult noise. ;>)

Personally, I wouldn't by just one, I think it's important for them to have a buddy of their own kind, especially when we are traveling/camping and they are being tended to by the neighbors.

DO NOT feed them over ripe watermelon that's been kept way too long. Apparently it turns into goose wine and yesterday two of the little ones and a little duck friend got absolutely smashed.

I think I love my Muscovy ducks the best, but these geese are loads of fun too.

DISCLAIMER: I am new to all of this, so I am just learning. Other more experienced folks my give you better insight/advise.

Cheers,

Dan

Quote:
hey that soulnds fun, thanx.
I have a neighbor 1/2 mile north of me who used to have a bunch of White Chinese I think. They scared me to death and when I stopped at his place I wouldn't get out of my van cause there was literally a herd of them. I didn't own any birds myself at that time and he has since gotten rid of all his.
They were white and had the large knob on the face.
thanx for the info.

Back
Top Bottom