Looking for some help!

I've never tried electric fencing, we used hardware cloth buried about a foot underground all around our runs, and up the sides of the runs as well. Trying to stay one step ahead of the predators is a big job.

I was thinking about that.. And I'm pretty sure hardware wire is cheaper than everything for a electric fence!
Question: would I just dig a trench around the coop and just nail it to the frame board and just drop it in and cover it up??
Question: do rosters help protect the ladies?

And I'm gonna have speckled Sussex hens does that mean I have to have a Sussex rooster? Or can I have any rooster?

Yes, just dig a trench. That sounds so simple, until you're digging.
tongue.png

Any rooster is fine if you're not breeding. I have a Polish roo in with my mixed layer flock. I collect eggs daily, so it's not a problem.

I missed part, sorry. Roosters for the most part will try to protect their ladies. He will sound the alarm for them to run, then stand and face the predator. Not a winning situation for him, so it's best to keep them all safely tucked away at night. That being said, we did have a roo that outran the girls when a hawk swooped down on our flock.

Yes it will have a gate with a few latches on it because we have a few coon that like to roam the back yard.. And I'm thinking one stran of electric fence about 6-8" high all the way around?

that will not stop a coon if you cant shoot him get a live trap and catch him they are smart and crafty i just shoot them here and possums and coyotes too and as far as predators go what kind of wire is on the outside of thecoop

that will not stop a coon if you cant shoot him get a live trap and catch him they are smart and crafty i just shoot them here and possums and coyotes too and as far as predators go what kind of wire is on the outside of thecoop

It's regular chicken wire at the moment but mr chicks told me about hardware wire so I'm gonna get a roll of that and go about 3' up all the way around.. Is that a good idea? And maybe a stran of electric fence!! Oh and I have shot many coons around our house with my bow last time we had chickens

Back
Top Bottom