Looking for some shipping advice (money related, not packing related)

Ok thanks for all the help! Can I get boxes through the USPS or should I provide my own? I am planning to start sending out some test eggs to people and it will be only about 6-12 Coturnix eggs. I just want to practice shipping before I start shipping anything more expensive like my Silkie, or BCMs eggs.

At my local PO, they give out flat rate boxes free.
When the clerk gave me some, she told me that I CAN choose to have them weighed and if it is cheaper that way, they WILL mail it at that rate for me if I ask.
She said that they don't mind at all as it is easier for their machines to handle the boxes they provide so anyway they can encourage you to use them they will.

Oh yes they ship them to my post office , i pick up cases at a time ....shipping cost FREE so need to get those flat rate boxes at post office.

My last order was 8 cases of different size.......cost 0000000000

The ebay lady was using shipping as a way to make more money off them. If you use the #4 box (7"x7"x6") it should cost around $5-$7. Heck, it doesn't really matter what box you use, as long as it's not the flat rate, those are ridiculously priced and should never be used to ship hatching eggs unless the eggs are huge.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
agree , bet it still cheaper even shipping an OSHRICH EGG

Quote:
Just a bit of a correction here. The large flat rate box is not the #7. The #7 box is 12"x12"x8", the large flat rate is 12"x12"x5". The large flat rate box is automatically $14.95 shipping regardless of the weight. The most expensive #7 boxed shipment I've sent was a little over $15 BUT it had about 4 dozen bantam eggs in it. That many eggs would not have fit in the large flat rate box.

Just for size reference here's a list of the boxes you should use for shipping eggs:
#4 box (7"x7"x6"): safely ship up to 9 LF or duck eggs, up to 12 bantam eggs, or up to 40 quail eggs (depending on how you pack).
#7 box (12"x12"x8"): Safely ship up to 4 dozen bantam eggs, 3 dozen LF or duck eggs, or several goose/turkey/peafowl eggs. These are good to use if you have 'good' eggs that need double boxing, you can use the medium flat rate box to put the eggs in and put that box inside the #7.

Flat rate:
small (5 3/8"x8 5/8"x1 5/8"): Not recommended for shipping eggs, this box is about the size of a Disney VCR cassette case.
medium (11"x8.5"x5.5"): Shipping price $10.95; can safely hold about a 10-12 LF or duck eggs, up to 18 bantam eggs, up to 70 quail eggs (depending on how you pack, and yes I have sent this many in this box), or probably 4-6 turkey/goose/peafowl eggs.
large (12"x12"x5.5"): Shipping price $14.95; can hold a good amount of eggs, probably up to 18 LF or duck eggs, 2 dozen bantam eggs, or around 100 quail eggs. Can hold a large number of big eggs

Last edited:
Quote:
I've never had a flat rate box weighed, I was told that the flat rate boxes use the flat rate. Besides, the #4 and #7 boxes are bigger, why would you want to use flat rates?

Back
Top Bottom