Looking for suggestions on coop/run.

tbeard

In the Brooder
May 16, 2015
I am just looking for some general tips on my construction. This building(which will become the coop) is at the moment, 12x20 and has a tin roof over the back half. 1/4 of the floor is a wooden floor. Should

the wooden floor be removed? Also i have 8 chicks, when they are grown will this be enough room for them?

Last edited:
I would expect that to be plenty of coop space for 6 birds. A rule of thumb is 4 sq ft of coop for each chicken and 10 sq ft of run. At 12 x20, you've got 240 sq ft, - more than enough. I have 6 chickens if 16 sq ft, as does a friend who has had that size setup for years. But I have a large run, and that's were the chickens spend most of their waking time.

Your run looks like it's an older wire enclosure. I would make sure that the wire is in good shape and will hold up to predator attempts to breach it. Maybe look into something with a smaller hole, like a 1x1 or 1/2 in x 1/2 in welded wire.

Remember, every bird, flock, setup and person is different. What works for someone else may not work for you and what your animals like and want may be a total disaster for someone else. Just have fun and learn from it all!!!! Good luck!

I forgot - I would take out the wooden floor. If it's nearly ground height, I'm not sure what you gain from having it. It's hard to see, as in looking on a mobile device, but if it's boards vs plywood, it'll be a nightmare to keep clean. Poop likes to find cracks and crevices.

If you have plenty of room, maybe section that part off, keep the floor and use it for storage?

Thanks, i will be removing the floor today. It was a way for my dog to stay off the ground when it was out there.

Made some progress this weekend, put cover over front half, put up part of the new wall, made the nesting boxes and started the roost ;)

Back
Top Bottom