Looking for tasty dishes WITHOUT onions...HELP!!!

msgenie516

The Happy Hen
11 Years
May 16, 2008
Nesconset, LI, NY
Hi,

I have been struggling for years (45, to be exact) to concoct dishes without onions, especially those that definately should have onions. DH just doesn't like to see onions in his food. He doesn't seem to mind the flavor, but just the sight of them disturbs him. I have been camouflaging them by running them through the blender (but that just doesn't work when you are supposed to brown chopped onions), using onion powder and, on occasion, chopping them into superfine pieces, but then I can't use too much as he will invariably spot them. I cannot add them at all to dishes like tuna salad, potato salad, macaroni salad, egg salad, and so on.

I once made a meatloaf using Lipton's dry onion soup mix but I thought he would have a fit when he noticed the onions! I have been thinking of running the soup mix through the blender until it is pulverized, but I don't know how that would work.

The problem is, I love onions and many times, I just don't even feel like cooking because I can't use them.

When I make a pot of soup that requires onions, I cook a whole onion in it (so that I can remove it easily) and squeeze the juices out into the soup at the end of the cooking time.

However, I am getting extremely tired of going through all this trouble to disguise the fact that I am using onions and I am looking for recipes that are tasty but don't use onions at all. I think I should tell you that he also won't eat mushrooms, broccoli, or spinach (which are all favorites of mine). It's hard to believe anyone would dislike all of those wonderful foods!
roll.png
Luckily, he does like eggs!

All recipes and ideas will be very helpful but I would also love to hear from anyone struggling with the same problem and what solutions you have come up with. I know I am asking a lot, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
smile.png
Genie

Last edited:
One of my favorite dishes is chicken Devan.

Boil a whole chicken, yes you can add onion along with celery, garlic, salt and pepper to the water, it won't be going into the dish, just the chicken will.

After chicken has fully (About 4 hours) cooked, take the meat off the chicken, and freeze the broth for a later date.(side note: I boil my chicken in a double boiler pasta pot, so I can just lift the chicken and mushy onions and celery right out, leaving the yummy broth).

Next, chop enough broccoli to layer the bottom of a casserole dish, then steam it for just a few minutes, the oven will be cooking it the rest of the way.

Layer Broccoli in bottom of casserole dish.

Layer shredded/chopped chicken on top.

In a small bowl mix 1 cup Mayonnaise, with 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1 tsp lemon juice and 2 tsp Curry powder. Stir and spread over the chicken.

Next sprinkle a generous amount on shredded cheddar cheese over top.

And last mix 1 cup Italian style bread crumbs with 1/4 cup butter, then sprinkle over the cheese.

cook at 350 for about an hour.

It's really good to serve with rice and french bread.

this is my family's favorite, and quite easy to make!

Enjoy!

So he's fine with the flavor, but not the the sight of it?

Offer him a blindfold.

Last edited:
RUN YOUR ONIONS ON A CHEESE GRATER
i hear it makes them small enough to cook down in your food but you can also brown them
i have never tried this cause i always forget to buy a cheese grater but i need to because my 8yr old wont eat my food if there is onions in it

Mongolian Beef
INGREDIENTS
· 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
· 1 tablespoon soy sauce
· 1 tablespoon cornstarch
· 2 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 pound beef round steak, cut into thin strips
·
· 3/4 cup water
· 2 tablespoons soy sauce
· 2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
· 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
· 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
· 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
· 2 carrots, thinly sliced
· 1 bunch green onions, cut into 2 inch pieces...Just leave these out...I never have any and the dish is great!
DIRECTIONS
1. In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast sesame seeds for 1-to2 minutes, or until the seeds begin to turn golden brown; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together 1-tablespoon soy sauce, 1-tablespoon cornstarch, and minced garlic. Stir in beef strips. Let stand for at least 10 minutes.
3. In a separate small bowl, mix together water, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch, sugar, sesame seeds, and red pepper flakes; set aside.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a wok or skillet over high heat. Cook and stir beef in hot oil for 1 minute remove, and set aside. Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in the same pan. Sauté carrots and white part of green onions for 2 minutes. Stir in green parts of the green onion, and sauté for 1 minute. Stir in sesame seed mixture and beef. Cook and stir until sauce boils and thickens.

Serve over rice
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pan Seared Rib Eye...This works well with sirloin too.
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
1 boneless rib eye steak, 1 1/2-inch thick
Canola oil to coat
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
Place 10 to 12-inch cast iron skillet in oven and heat oven to 500 degrees. Bring steak(s) to room temperature.

When oven reaches temperature, remove pan and place on range over high heat. Coat steak lightly with oil and season both sides with a generous pinch of salt. Grind on black pepper to taste.

Immediately place steak in the middle of hot, dry pan. Cook 30 seconds without moving. Turn with tongs and cook another 30 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 2 minutes. Flip steak and cook for another 2 minutes. (This time is for medium rare steaks. If you prefer medium, add a minute to both of the oven turns.)

Remove steak from pan, cover loosely with foil, and rest for 2 minutes. Serve whole or slice thin and fan onto plate.
Yield: 1 to 2 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Difficulty: Easy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cheese Enchiladas

1-26count- pkg. corn tortillas
Heat each corn tortilla by dipping it in hot oil or about 10 - 15 seconds per side and stack them on a small plate until all are heated. Cover with foil to keep warm.

2 pound package Walmart Mexican blend grated cheese

4 Cups of Red Sauce

MAKE THE RED SAUCE:
4 Tablespoons of lard or bacon drippings
6 Tablespoons flour
4 cups water
5 chicken bullion cubes
1 tsp. ground cumin
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4-cup tomato sauce
dash of Cayenne Pepper

Melt the fat in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the flour and
cook and stir until the flour is lightly browned. Add the water and stir with a wire whisk until smooth. Add the bullion, chili powder and cumin and tomato sauce, cook until smooth and bubbly. Cover and simmer on lowest heat, about 10 or 15 minutes – I let it cook while I put the rice together. Gravy should be very thin, if not add a little water to thin it out.

To Roll Enchiladas
Pour 1/2 of the red sauce into the pan that your going to put the enchiladas in.

Place a small hand-full of cheese in the middle and fold over and roll. Place the enchiladas in the pan in the red sauce. When the pan is full spoon the rest of the red sauce over the enchiladas, sprinkle with cheese and cover with foil.
To serve place your enchiladas on a plate and heat in the microwave until very hot, serve with refried bean and Spanish rice.

CheeseEnchiladas002.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Olive Garden Alfredo Sauce

Ingredients:

1 pint of Heavy Cream
1 stick of butter
2 T. Cream Cheese
1/2-3/4 C. Parmesan cheese, (real cheese, not that stuff in the green can)
1 tsp. Garlic powder

Put all ingredients into a saucepan with a heavy bottom and turn the heat as low as it will go. Stirring occasionally let it all melt and simmer together until everything is well blended.

Serve over pasta with sautéed chicken strips.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spaghetti Carbonara

1-pound spaghetti
4 large egg yolks
1/2-cup heavy cream
1-tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
6 ounces thickly sliced bacon, cut into 1/8-inch dice
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (3 ounces), plus more for serving
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
Freshly ground pepper

Directions:

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the spaghetti until just al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks and cream. In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil. Add the bacon and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until crisp, 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until golden, 1 minute.

Add the spaghetti to the skillet. Cook over low heat, tossing, until coated. Slowly add the reserved pasta cooking water and beaten egg yolks. Toss until coated with a creamy sauce, about 1 minute. Add the 1-cup of Parmesan and the nutmeg; season with pepper. Transfer to bowls and serve, passing extra Parmesan.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Salmon Patties

1 can Red Salmon
1 egg
1/2 cup mashed potatoes
1 stack of crackers crushed into crumbs
Cornmeal

Make the mashed potatoes and crush the crackers into crumbs.

Drain the juice from the salmon and place the salmon in a bowl.
Mash the salmon with a fork until it is all lose and separated.

Mix in the egg and the mashed potatoes.
Thicken with enough cracker crumbs so that it will hold together when you shape them into patties.

Form the patties and coat them with cornmeal, place in refrigerator until ready to cook. Fry on med. heat in a little oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

You can make these the night before and fry them when you get home from work the following evening.

I make these with leftover mashed potatoes from the evening meal and they are ready to cook for supper the next day.
SalmonPatties002.jpg

SalmonPatties003.jpg

Meat Loaf

2 pounds ground beef
2 eggs
3 Tablespoons minced dried onions (it disappears in the meat)
1 cup finely crushed cracker crumbs
( put in a plastic bag and roll with a rolling pin until almost like flour)
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt

Preheat oven to 375°.

Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well with your hands.

Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with foil. Grease the foil with Pam.

Place meat mixture in the pan and form into a loaf.

Peel several potatoes and cut into very thick chucks and place around meat loaf. Peel several carrots, cut into half or thirds and place on top of potatoes.

Pour an eight ounce can of tomato sauce over the meat. Spray a piece of foil with Pam and cover the whole thing tightly.

Place in a 375° oven for 2 hours.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Meatball Sandwich

Ingredients
· 1 pound ground beef
· 3/4 cup bread crumbs
· 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
· 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
· 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
· 1 egg, beaten
· 1 French baguette
· 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
· 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
· 1 pinch salt, or to taste
· 1 (14 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
· 4 slices provolone cheese
Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350°
2. In a medium bowl, gently mix by hand the ground beef, breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic, parsley, Parmesan cheese, and egg. Shape into 12 meatballs, and place in a baking dish.
3. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cooked through. Meanwhile, cut the baguette in half lengthwise, and remove some of the bread from the inside to make a well for the meatballs. Brush with olive oil, and season with garlic powder and salt. Slip the baguette into the oven during the last 5 minutes of the meatball's time, or until lightly toasted.
4. While the bread toasts, warm the spaghetti sauce in a saucepan over medium heat. When the meatballs are done, use a slotted spoon to transfer them to the sauce. Spoon onto the baguette and top with slices of provolone cheese. Return to the oven for 2 to 3 minutes to melt the cheese. Cool slightly, cut into servings, and enjoy!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MEXICAN LASAGNA

2 lbs ground round
2-tablespoon chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
14 oz can chopped tomatoes
1-cup medium heat taco sauce
1 can black beans, drained
1 cup frozen corn
Salt (to taste)
8 (8") flour tortillas
2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar
2 green onions, sliced

Preheat oven to 425.

Sauté meat in large skillet. Add seasonings. Brown for 5 minutes; add tomatoes and taco sauce.

Add black beans and corn. Heat 2-3 min., and then season w/salt.

Coat 13x9 baking dish w/oil.

Cut tortillas in 1/2. Layer meat/beans mixture, then tortillas, and the cheese. Repeat.

Bake 15 minutes or until bubbly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Corndogs
This in enough batter for about 6 hotdogs.

1-cup flour
2/3-cup cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons oil
1 egg
3/4-cup milk

Remove the hotdogs from the package and roll them up in paper towels to dry them; let them sit in the paper towels while you make the breading. The breading will not stick to wet hotdogs.

Put the hot dogs on a Popsicle sticks

Mix the ingredients together. Place the batter in a tall glass; the batter will be thick.

Dip the hotdogs in the batter and fry at 375°. Cook two corndogs at a time, rolling the corndogs against one another to cook evenly on all sides.

Cook until golden brown; drain on paper towels.

Enjoy!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Slow Cooker Thai Peanut Pork

Ingredients
· 2 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
· 4 (8 ounce) boneless pork loin chops
· 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
· 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
· 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
· 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
·
· 1/2 cup chopped green onions (this is just garnish)
· 1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts
· 2 limes, cut into wedges
Directions
1. Coat a slow cooker with cooking spray. Place the bell pepper strips and pork chops into the slow cooker. Pour the teriyaki sauce, vinegar, red pepper flakes, and garlic over the pork chops.
2. Cover and cook on Low until the pork is very tender, 8 to 9 hours. Once tender, remove the pork from the slow cooker, and whisk in the peanut butter until smooth. Return the pork to the slow cooker, and cook 10 minutes more.
3. Pour into a serving dish and sprinkle with green onions and peanuts to garnish. Decorate with lime wedges to serve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pulled Pork Southern Style
Posted by Coll'sCookin'

4# boneless pork shoulder (cut into 5 or 6 pieces)
1/4 C water
1 med onion - coarsely chopped (This disappears)
1/2 C cider vinegar
1/2 C ketchup
1/4 C light molasses
2 T sweet paprika
2 T spicy brown mustard
2 T Worcestershire sauce
1 t ground red pepper (cayenne)
1 t finely ground black pepper
1 t salt
3 T. Liquid smoke flavoring (I use the whole bottle)

Place pork shoulder pieces (fat trimmed) into crock-pot /slow cooker.
Mix all ingredients together and pour over the roast.
Cover and cook low/med (I start on high for 1 hour) for approx 8-10 hours or until tender and falling apart..
Remove cooked pork from pot..
Shred pork with 2 forks or fingers into stringy pieces.

Serve on soft sandwich buns with dill pickles and your favorite BBQ sauce.
Serve with cole slaw and potato chips.

**This can be started overnight.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cola Pork Chops
INGREDIENTS
· 1 cup ketchup
· 1 cup cola-flavored carbonated beverage
· 2 tablespoons brown sugar
· 8 pork chops
· salt and pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Mix together the ketchup, cola and brown sugar.
3. Place pork chops into a baking pan and pour cola mixture over, coating well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Bake for about one hour depending on the thickness of the pork chop.
This recipe was great. I modified it a little, but it turned out amazingly well. I rubbed the pork chops with garlic powder, onion powder and pepper then browned them. I also added 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 1 teaspoon corn starch to the ketchup mixture. I put the pork chops in the oven for 30 minutes at 375 degrees. They were moist and the sauce turned out to be the perfect thickness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Southern Living CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
Makes 8 servings
Top-Rated Recipe, November 2001
Southern Living On-Line
1 (2 1/2-pound) whole chicken, cut up
2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
3 cups self-rising flour (I just use all-purpose flour and add 3 tsp. baking powder)
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/3 cup shortening
1 cup milk
COVER chicken with water, and bring to a boil in a large Dutch oven. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and next 3 ingredients; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Remove chicken, reserving broth in Dutch oven; cool chicken. Skim fat from broth; bring to a simmer.
SKIN, bone, and coarsely chop chicken. Add chicken, bouillon, and remaining salt and pepper to broth. Return to simmer.
COMBINE flour and poultry seasoning in a bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Add milk, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened.
TURN dough out onto a lightly floured surface, knead 20 strokes. Roll out to 1/8-inch thickness; cut into 1-inch pieces.
BRING broth mixture to a boil. Drop dumplings, a few at a time, into boiling broth, stirring gently. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring often, for 25 minutes. Prep: 30 min.; Cook: 1 hr., 30 min.

Chinese Chicken Spareribs
(When you cook this in the Crockpot, leave out the ½ cup of water.)

2 LBS Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1-2 Tbs. veg oil
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup firm packed brown sugar
1/4 cup apple juice
2 Tbs. Ketchup
1 Tbs. Cider Vinegar
1 clove Garlic finely chopped
1/2 Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 Tsp. Ground Ginger
1 Tbs. Cornstarch
1 Tbs. Water

Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over med. high heat add chicken cook until lightly browned. (6-7 min) Set aside. Combine remaining ingredients except cornstarch and water in a bowl and mix well, pour over chicken and return to heat. Bring to a boil and reduce heat and cover, simmer for 20 minutes. In a small dish combine cornstarch and water, blend well and then add to chicken mixture. Cook and stir until sauce is thickened and it glazes over chicken.

Serve with rice.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is one of my all time favorites.

Classic Chicken Under a Brick
http://www.post-gazette.com/food/20011014brick2p2.asp

3 1/2- to 4-pound frying chicken, backbone removed and spread flat (see instructions)
2 bricks, foil-wrapped (or other weights)

1/3 cup olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons to film skillet
1 cup mixed chopped herbs, including rosemary or sage, in any combination of parsley, thyme, basil, mint, chervil or oregano
1-teaspoon kosher salt
1 large, 2 small cloves garlic, or to taste
1 teaspoon dried red pepper, or to taste
Garnish: Herb sprigs and 1 lemon, cut in 6 wedges

Remove neck and giblets from chicken; reserve for another use or discard. Pull off and discard any lumps of fat. With poultry shears, cut along both sides of backbone, cutting back completely in two. Save backbone for stockpot. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Pull open and set skin side up on a flat surface; press breastbone with your hand to flatten.

(I like to remove the breastbone with my kitchen shears.)

Chop garlic. Sprinkle coarse salt on top. With tines of a fork, crush garlic thoroughly into the salt. Stir garlic paste into 1/3-cup olive oil in a baking dish large enough to hold chicken flat. Add dried red pepper. Coat chicken all over; pat the mixed chopped herbs onto chicken thickly. Return chicken to container and refrigerate an hour or up to a day.

Using two tablespoons of oil, lightly coat the bottom of a heavy skillet measuring 9 or 10 inches across the cooking surface.

Heat the oil and put the chicken in, skin-side down. Weight with 2 bricks or another heavy skillet loaded with heavy items, at least 10 pounds in all. Cook on medium-low heat for 20 minutes.

Scraping with a spatula turned upside down, loosen chicken and lift to check color. If not deeply browned, turn up heat a bit and cook 5 minutes more. Scrape again to loosen. Turn the chicken, using a large spatula and your other hand protected with paper towels. Weight again and cook 20 minutes. Test for doneness using an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh -- it should read 160 degrees to 165 degrees -- or make a small incision in the thigh with a sharp paring knife. If juice runs clear, chicken is done. Garnish with lemon wedges and sprigs of herbs.

Chef's trick: Cook skin-side-down to a golden turn 20 minutes in the skillet or on a grill, then transfer skin-side-up, to a 400-degree oven. Check for doneness after 10 minutes. This can save the day when charcoal briquettes poop out on you prematurely.

Serves 4-6.

Virginia Phillips

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chicken Lo Mein

1/2 pound spaghetti
1/2 pound chicken
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bunch green onions, sliced thin (I never have these)
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
peanut oil
I just use whatever vegetables I happen to have
2 stalks celery, sliced thin
1 cup cabbage, sliced thin, or chopped
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil

Cook spaghetti as directed on package, drain, rinse in cold water, add a few drops oil and mix to keep from sticking. Set aside.

Chop chicken into 2" pieces.

Mix together meat, ginger, garlic, onions, cornstarch, sugar, 1/4 cup soy sauce; set aside to marinate.

Heat wok to smoking, add 2 tbs oil. Stir fry meat mixture two minutes; do not over cook. Set aside.

Add 2 tbs oil to wok; stir fry celery and cabbage two minutes.

Add spaghetti, stir well and cook a few minutes.

Add meat mixture, remaining soy sauce and sesame oil. Stir a minute to heat through, then serve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Buca di Beppos Chicken with Lemon
Buca Chicken with Lemon
Source: Chef Vittorio Renda, Buca di Beppo

Ingredients:
2 six-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt
1 cup of flour
1/4 cup of olive oil
1/4 cup of white wine
4 large lemons
1/2 stick of unsalted butter softened
Small handful of drained capers

Preparation:
1. Cut three lemons in half and use for fresh lemon juice. Pour the juice through a fine strainer. Cut the last lemon into wedges for garnish.

2. Begin to heat the olive oil in a 12-inch sauté pan on med-high. While oil is getting hot, lightly season both sides of the chicken breast with salt.

3. Lightly dust the chicken breast in the flour. Shake off excess flour. Place chicken in the sauté pan skin side down.

4. When the chicken is golden brown, turn over and brown the other side as well. It is important to brown both sides to insure the chicken is completely cooked through.

5. When both sides are nice and brown, add white wine and lemon juice. Continue to cook for approximately two to three minutes. The liquid should reduce approximately half. Once the liquid is reduced, remove the chicken breasts from the pan and turn off heat. Check to make sure the chicken breasts are cooked by turning each piece of chicken over and cutting it halfway through with a knife. There should be no visible pink. If the chicken is not completely cooked through, place in a 400 degree oven for five minutes to complete cooking.

6. Finish the sauce by placing the softened butter in the pan. Using rubber spatula, work the butter into the sauce as it melts. Pour sauce directly on top of chicken breasts. Garnish with capers and lemon wedges.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blackened Chicken
Cooking in a cast iron skillet is best.

6 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
3 sticks butter
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. paprika
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
1/2 Tb. dried thyme

Preheat oven to 350°

-Pat breasts dry and refrigerate until ready to cook. The butter sauce adheres better to cold chicken.
-In the microwave melt butter, then add the spices.
-Stir to blend then cool, sauce will thicken as it cools.
-Place a 10 inch cast-iron skillet over high heat until bottom has a definite white haze and begins to smoke slightly.
-Remove chicken from refrigerator.
-Dip 1 breast in butter sauce, coating well.
-Place chicken in hot skillet. It will blacken almost immediately. Turn over and blacken other side.
-As breasts are blackened, place them in a foil lined baking dish. Discard accumulated butter sauce and charred bits from skillet between batches, wipe the skillet out and reheat for the next breast.
-Repeat with remaining breasts.
-Reserve remaining butter sauce.
-When all breasts have been blackened, wipe skillet clean and place back on heat. Add reserved butter sauce. Carefully swirl skillet 5 or 6 times to blacken butter.
-Remove skillet from heat; drizzle butter over breasts and place in preheated oven and bake for about 25 minutes or until juices run clear.
-Garnish and serve hot.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom