Looking for the prefect chicken!

Quote:
I'm glad to hear that, too! I am getting fifteen Buff Orpingtons for the first time in March and I'm really excited. They are all supposed to be females, so lots of eggs! I know you are probably all really tired of hearing me tell you all this, but I'm so excited!
wee.gif

Ok My husband helped me to choose because its hard for me to make a decision, I love all of the birds! So we are going with the orpingtons! Now this might be a really crazy question but I am looking for great personality because I am a chicken lover and love to actually sit and play with the chicks and chickens. I spend hours sometimes in the summer sitting in the pen, lol. Does the color of the bird effect there personality in any way? Does anyone know if color make a difference? Like I said probably a silly question! people referred the the buff orpington but I found they have lavenders and I love that color in a chicken?

thank you!
janie

Chickens are like people- they all have different personalities. Some chickens are smart and others are not too smart. Chickens as a group can change over time. Birds that are gamey at one year may calm down by year three. As a general rule, birds cut the number of eggs they laid as a pullet in half by the end of their third year of laying. You can stimulate your birds to lay by placing a light with a timer in the roost area. They need 12 hours of light to lay at a decent rate. If the birds have stopped laying it will take two weeks to see some results.

In the winter, cold weather, snow and crowded conditions will also effect egg production. I feed my birds extra corn in the winter and under 12 hours of light; they lay very well. The less stress they have the better they will lay eggs. I clean the snow away from the house so they can go outside.

Breed has more to do with if a bird is calm or crazy.

Tim

Good luck in finding the perfect breed. That is really a loaded dice on asking on BYC, because everyone and their dog all have differing opinions on that. Everyone really has to decide this for themselves as to what you want in a chicken. I went thorugh several before I decided which ones I like the best, I decided though.....................................................................................................................
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................
{ I like chickens}
lau.gif

The two best brown egg production breeds are Rhode Island Reds and Black Australorps.

Buff Orpingtons can be good layers too, but they are larger and will eat more. They also go broody during the summer, during which time eggs will be scarce. But a broody with chicks can be a lot of fun!

Back
Top Bottom