Looking for the right chicken breed.

kennedykors

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 27, 2013
I'm 18 years old and I had one chicken when I was 16 but unfortunately it died young.. I am now looking for another chicken but unfortunately I am not much of an expert. I want a friendly chicken who loves people and specifically one that doesn't lay eggs if that is possible. I have always found chickens to be good pets but I'm not looking have mine lay eggs. Also, one that is sort of low maintenance and fairly quiet. I know it's a lot to ask but my old chicken met all of those but unfortunately I do not know what breed it was. If you know any breeds like this please let me know! Thanks!

Welcome to byc :) you will want two chickens since they live in flocks. all chickens lay eggs, but there are some ornamental breeds that don't lay as much. Polish is one I can think of and in sure others will have some great ideas, do you have a picture of your old chicken?

Last edited:
You could get an older hen, laying will slow down in most birds after a few years. Other than that, short of getting a rooster, you will get occasional eggs. Is there some particular reason why you don't want eggs? Also chickens are flock birds and I highly suggest getting 2 of them. I would never recommend a single chicken.

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! I agree with the above posters, rather get more than one chicken, so it won't be lonely. An older hen or 2 would be a god choice for you, or 2 roosters that grew up together (as long as you don't introduce a hen they should get along fine, I used to know a lady that had 7 roosters, no hens, and they were quite happy together). Have a look around the Breeds and Reviews to give you ideas and also the Learning Center for more on chicken keeping. Enjoy!

welcome-byc.gif
I assume you are looking for a "housepet" chicken. I would recommend one of the bantam breeds Silkies or seramas. I also agree with the poster who suggested males so you don't have any eggs but, they will crow and maybe in your area you can't have that.

Back
Top Bottom