Looking for vets in LA area please read!

Chickenhugs105

Hatching
Aug 6, 2020
I'm trying to look for a vet for my hen because she has an ear infection. I can't seem to find any good ones that accept chickens. I found a vet in Pasadena that does and they have a 4.6 star rating but the bad reviews all had terrible experiences there. They charge a lot for useless tests and some people had their pets die after going there. Should I keep looking or should I just go there?

@casportpony and @micstrahan might know of some good vets in CaA near LA. Do you have any pictures of the ear? Is there swelling or any discharge? Have you tried to apply some hydrogen peroxide to the ear canal, and try cleaning it out? Plain Neosporin Ointment can be put into the ear canal after cleaning it out. In some cases with a huge swollen ear with pus, that may need to be removed. Some ear infections can be related to a respiratory disease. In the post below, read post number 4 about how to deal with ear infection:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ear-infection.767500/

Last edited:
I didn't take any pictures. I cleaned the ear about 3 weeks ago with water then it came back again so cleaned it again with water. I didn't know you were supposed to clean it with hydrogen peroxide. I was told by reddit to take her to the vet for some antibiotics. I don't know if she has a respiratory disease but she does breathe really loud so maybe she does. I'll look for symptoms. Thank you for the link

I'm trying to look for a vet for my hen because she has an ear infection. I can't seem to find any good ones that accept chickens. I found a vet in Pasadena that does and they have a 4.6 star rating but the bad reviews all had terrible experiences there. They charge a lot for useless tests and some people had their pets die after going there. Should I keep looking or should I just go there?
Every where you go there will be unhappy people. In the medical world, and especially with animals, tests are often done to rule out a problem not diagnose it. So often diagnoses are made by determining what the problem is not. Also, more unhappy people are prone to leaving reviews than happy people. I'd still go there.

Every where you go there will be unhappy people. In the medical world, and especially with animals, tests are often done to rule out a problem not diagnose it. So often diagnoses are made by determining what the problem is not. Also, more unhappy people are prone to leaving reviews than happy people. I'd still go there.
Thank you for the advice I'll try to call them today and ask for a price

Back
Top Bottom