Looking for white egg layers!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sekeyslaks, Jan 12, 2015.

1. sekeyslaks

sekeyslaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    Hello BYC!!

I am in the process of considering more chickens for my laying flock,and while I have my brown egg layers down,I'm having trouble with the white egg layers! I already have on my list:Brown and White Leghorn's,Blue Andalusian's,and Ancona's,but I would like more options!I want a reasonably calm breed that lays well,and ranges well.I don't want mixes.Please list your favorite breeds and thanks for the help![​IMG] I'm looking for your personal experience with them,and I want standard sized birds.No Bantams.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I am a great fan of leghorns - particularly the light brown variety. They can be somewhat flighty, but in a mixed flock the other birds may exert a calming effect. They are great egg producers and foragers, and their tendency towards flightiness can help with predator evasion. In addition to all of this they are beautiful.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have a couple of anconas who are beautiful black with white speckled birds that lay very large white eggs.

4. sekeyslaks

sekeyslaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2014
    Thanks for your help,but I was wanting recommendations on birds that I don't already have on my list...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by