Looking into Raising Red Golden Pheasants- Profitable, or No?

NeuronSauce

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 8, 2011
I'm currently thinking about getting into raising ornamental birds as a hobby, and am surprised at how pricey pheasants can be, even the unsexed and non-breed specific chicks at commercial hatcheries. Most of them also, for everything I've read and seen, seem to be fairly easy to raise. They're also lovely, and I'm a sucker for that.

So... there's one thing. Is there much of a demand for red golden pheasants? I live in northern Missouri, and would be fine with shipping chicks to the surrounding states.

Fun to raise? Definately. Profitable? I wouldn't count on making a lot of money. I raise both red & yellow goldens and lady amhearsts. I don't have a problem getting rid of those I hatch, but can't really say they bring big bucks and I make much money from it. I enjoy having them and figure if I can sell enough to pay for the feed & the electricity to run the incubator/brooder and heated waterers in winter I'm happy.

Commercial hatcheries always have their birds priced higher than what they sell for in my area (southern Illnois). I take mine to a couple of swaps and auctions - sometimes sell on craigslist. I sell mostly in the fall when I can sex them and pair them up.

HI . I LIKE TO SAY I BEEN BREEDING THE RED GOLDEN PHEASANTS FOR YEARS NOW AND I HAVE ALWAYS SOLD WHAT I HAD FOR SALE. I HAVE SOME CHICKS NOW AND I HAVE TWO MEN THAT ARE WATEING FOR THEM TO GET OLDER SO I CAN SEX THEM. THE REDS, AMHERST, YELLOW, ARE ALWAYS ESZY TO SALE. HARVEY

I just hatched some eggs for fun for the first time. I have sixteen babies. the problem is I don't really have the place to house that many, esp. if some may be males. I was wondering if you could tell me how old they should be before selling them and how much do people sell them for. I loved hatching them for fun but can't really keep them. Is shipping them really safe? sorry for the questions, but I need to find these little ones homes soon. would prefer not to ship if someone who wanted them lived close. I live in the southern tip of indiana.

lazydaisy,

You stated in your post that you had hatched some eggs, just for fun for the first time and that you had 16 babies. 16 baby what???? Red Golden, Yellow Golden, Mutation, Ringneck, Reeves, Lady Amherst, etc.???? What do you have???

Most hatcheries have a minimum amount to purchase in order to ship them. They do this because it is safer to ship chicks in quantity as they stay warmer from each other's body heat and there is less open space in the shipping crate/box for them to be injured during movement.

Please PM me at [email protected] to let me know what you have, what you want for them, (including shipping), and if you even still have them.

Thanks,

Tim

It is mostly a question of supply and demand. Here in the Phoenix area I started off well in the eary spring selling Goldens and Amherst. Now I can't even give them away. Maybe it depends on the area your in but I wouldn't count on making a hugh profit at it. It is a fun hobby though.

Last month I bought a yearling RG pair for $40. Very pleased with this purchase, as the birds are very healthy and much more social with humans than I anticipated. This breeder spent a lot of time with his birds.

Back
Top Bottom