Looking tap into some experiance

Flon 18

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 6, 2011
Hi thinking about getting coturnix quail this spring. Im trying to figure out how much they are going to cost. I am looking to buy day old chicks for meat and eggs. If I read correctly the A/M variety have white meat , do they taste better? I think my girl friend would like them best. I live in Connecticut any suggestions on a breeder who will ship them to me.

My goal Is to start with two (maby 3) 2 foot by 8 foot pens one and a half feet tall. With my math that's 16 square feet per pen. How many quail should I grow out in those two pens, I will cull the flock for meat at 8 weeks removing the males.

Next how much feed will the flock need to grow them out and then sustain the hens for eggs? Im trying to figure out how much they will cost per week or month.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Ive already learned alot on this site thanks for that information and you responses.

Last edited:
Quote:

x2
if you can not hatch I'd suggest looking for someone local who has birds/chicks for sale.
Quail chicks are fragile compared to chickens and just can't take the stress of shipping nor the lack of food/water.

Yes, they do not have the same reserves. I take them out of the incubator as soon as they dry so they can get water and food.

Quote:

x2
if you can not hatch I'd suggest looking for someone local who has birds/chicks for sale.
Quail chicks are fragile compared to chickens and just can't take the stress of shipping nor the lack of food/water.

X3

Thanks so far

Ok I will hatch Ive been reading about the Diy incubators (for an hour now)

Cooler
Light for heat
Thermostat
computer fan
Thermometer

Humidity???.................Does a wet sponge do it? Do I need a Hydrometer?

Also Turning the eggs, twice a day? Does opening the cooler mess with the temp and humidity. Can a DIY egg turner be built or bought for quail eggs.

Again thanks alot. I know Im asking generic questions so if there are links I should e reading I will.

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome from BC, Canada.

Well it sounds good so far, you can buy a little giant turner or make one out of PVC with a rod sticking out of the cooler so you can turn them without opening it. Use a light bulb and wire it to a thermostat, either a wafer or something electronic. Stay away from the hot water heater thermostats if you can afford not to. To wire the bulb into the thermostat just buy a lamp kit or take a lamp apart. Use sponges to regulate humidity. Then buy the digital thermometer hygrometer combo at Walmart. A hygrometer does not control humidity, it just tells you it. Humidity is based off surface area so keep that in mind. When you go into lockdown I would keep a wire bottom in it so they won't get on the sponges or slip on the plastic.

Back
Top Bottom