Looking to buy a coop- suggestions

starbuck

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
I'm looking to buy a relatively easy to assemble coop in the 200-500 dollar range for 3-4 hens. I live in New England, so it needs to be winter appropriate. Does anyone have any good suggestions for premade coops? I've googled some, but would love some first hand suggestions.

Thanks, I really appreciate it!!!

I'd check with a local builder. You might be able to find a builder on Craigslist who already specializes in coops. Most of the ones you can buy online are really flimsy wood with cheap hinges. That or they have all kinds of delivery problems. I have an Eglu, but I'm not sure that would serve your purpose (I love mine). For $500 we have a local guy who builds and delivers shaker style coops with outside nesting boxes and lots of bells and whistles.

Ebay sells some great coops, particularly winterized ones... but they usually cost a bit more than $500...

If you have a recycle place near you, just build one anyway you want for much cheaper and fun learning project.

The only advice I have is to look at the measurements rather than the number of chickens they advertise it will comfortably house. Assuming you guys get decent winters, find something that's going to give them at least 4 sq. ft each of indoor space...

strongly agree with teach, i just purchased one off ebay (i am new to chicken keeping). the poster said will hold 8 hens or 10 bantams. no way would you get more than 2 in that thing. within a week of putting it together i added an additional 64 sq feet for my 3 hens. anyways, just my 2 cents and my first post. if you want to know which one it was on ebay private message me and i will send a link privately.
chuck

Back
Top Bottom