Looking To Buy....Peafowl(2016)

Thank you Gerald.  I have been actively hunting through the UPA Breeders web sites, and I keep coming back to B-A-B's- so not knowing anything about them previously, I'm gratified to have you recommend them.  I understand the Spaldings (or Green crosses) are not cold tolerant, and am ready to deal with that- having had heated perches in the past, I can do that again. My Bird house is good and solid and freshly expanded. My new concern though- I have read that the greens are considerably "flightier".   Is that true? My birds are real pets, around us and the dogs - and free ranging during the day,then coming in to be locked up at night.  Possibly Greens/Spaldings etc...being more skittish would not be conducive for free ranging?  Any thoughts or opinions would be welcome.

Spaldings 50/50 usually free range very well and tolerate the cold very well. The higher up you go on the purity scale is when you normally run into issues, Greens especially the males will roam and really dont free range well, some have tried and it works up until they are of breeding age and then they are prone to disappear. Breeding age green males can be very aggressive and care must be taken during the season to seperate males and reduce visuals between the pens as they will destroy themselves as well the pens trying to get at each other. Green hens are known to not play well with other hens and can be obsessive over their males so some might have to be kept in pairs probably no more than a trio per pen. Ive known a few people who have tamed their greens from a chick and hand raised them and swear the bird would never leave but, it usually turns out like the kids parakeet. Bottom line is your gonna need more when it comes to Green peafowl and I cant remember if you stated how much experience you have with peas but if its low, I would start with IB's and Spaldings and then move to the purer birds if thats what you end up liking, it could save you money in the end. It really hurts when one of the crazy greens fly up and break their neck, it just happened to me, ouch!!.

Gerald Barker

Never free range adult greens or %75 spaldings and more, they could leave easier than you think, %50 spaldings are a good choice, have you seen spalding black shoulder peacock before? It could be one of the prettiest birds you could ever see.

....unless you are like our dear @zazouse and have a big piece of property and are willing to invest a lot of time and effort in training your peas about their roaming range...
Well, her birds are still young, its easy to free range young green birds, let see when her birds reach breeding age, i don't think its a good idea to free range them then.

....unless you are like our dear @zazouse
and have a big piece of property and are willing to invest a lot of time and effort in training your peas about their roaming range...

Zaz is special for sure and just might be the exception.
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker

Never free range adult greens or %75 spaldings and more, they could leave easier than you think, %50 spaldings are a good choice, have you seen spalding black shoulder peacock before? It could be one of the prettiest birds you could ever see.
The black shoulder spaldings I've seen (in pictures) have not been very pretty- so maybe I haven't seen good ones. Now the 50% spaldings- are they as nice as your avatar? I'm also thinking if I found a Spalding hen, I would be happy, as I need another hen- and spalding hens are still quite pretty aren't they? Or is that the green hen I'm thinking of. When I look up these birds on the internet- I'm getting all sorts of things. I currently have an IB male split to white, a IB male, and anIB female split to pied. So a spalding hen would be my answer, yes?

Three year old with his first train. I also got my fist egg from him last night.
Wow is he handsome! So is that a black shoulder Spalding? And- LOL...if he's laying eggs, you REALLY have something special ! So what is the female, who layed the eggs? Are you selling eggs.....?
jumpy.gif

Wow is he handsome! So is that a black shoulder Spalding? And- LOL...if he's laying eggs, you REALLY have something special ! So what is the female, who layed the eggs? Are you selling eggs.....?
jumpy.gif

He was sold to me as being 75%, but most people think only 50%. The hen is also supposed to be the same. I will not ship eggs as it is not fair to either the buyer or seller. I will probably sell some of the chicks later this year, most likely after August.

Back
Top Bottom