Looking to expand my flock

LordEvan5

Songster
Oct 21, 2020
Quaker Hill Connecticut
Come spring I'm looking to get some more birds we are focused on egg playing and not really worried about meat. I have 3 good Rhode Island Reds and two Polish hens that may or may not stay plus two Roos that I have to find homes for I wanna have 10 to 15 birds that get along well. What do you guys have for suggestions for breeds? Thank you in afvance

Barred rocks are really smart, great for laying big eggs, very hardy, sweet. They are my favorite kind.
Austrolrps are great too they lay a bit more and a bit darker egg but not as friendly.

I do love dual purpose birds, and I started with them. But over the years, I went with a meat flock for meat, and a laying flock for eggs. This year I am trying some hybrids that are suppose to have high egg production. They should begin laying soon I hope.

My point is there a lot of egg layers, they tend to lay great for 2-3 years, and not live much longer after that. But that works for me. If you want purebred birds, I would try out the some the variation of the leghorns. I am thinking of adding the brown leghorns this next year, as something to try.

MRs K

Where are you located, at least the country? That could help direct my answer. If you modify your profile to show that then that info is always available. That basic info comes in handy for so many different reasons than just climate.

While breeds can have tendencies I find that individual differences are quite important. Strain matters a lot too. By strain I mean that if the person that selects which chickens get to breed emphasizes certain traits then those traits are more likely to show up. If a breeder of RIR's selects for larger egg size, the average egg size will get larger. If they emphasize number of eggs laid then the average number of eggs laid increases. Still, breed tendencies are probably the best thing you have to go on. One approach would be to go to Henderson's Breed Chart and see what traits you like, then go to Feathersite to see what the chicken looks like. You will probably see a lot that you like.

Henderson’s Breed Chart

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

Feathersite

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html#Chickens

Henderson's only look at breeds and not necessarily all of them. There are several types of chickens that might suit you that don't show up there. The commercial laying hybrids for example. Still, it is the most comprehensive list I know of.

My suggestion is to not put all your eggs in one basket. It often happens that what you think you'll like turns out to not suit you all that well after all. So instead of going with one breed or type go with different ones and see how they do side by side. Eat or sell the ones you don't like and get more of the ones you do. Get them from the same source so you are getting the same strain. Your goals, likes, and personal preferences are what is important, not mine.

I don't now where you are getting the birds (a hatchery, a feed store, or an individual) so I don't know your options. If you are in the US and are getting them from a hatchery you might look at one of their laying hens assortments. Many hatcheries offer those. You don't know what you'll get but it should be different chickens that lay well. These are typically less expensive than buying certain breeds. Or order some of the specific breeds you think you'll like. If you are in another country I don't know what options you have.

If your sole interest is in eggs some breeds or types are better choices than others. Generally you want production breeds, not decorative or meat birds. As long as you take a little care it's kind of hard to make a bad selection. A little homework is required but you have a great chance of being happy.

Good luck!

I love my leghorn and she lays about 6 eggs a week. The production is unbelievable. I didn't realize until owning one how pretty they really are in a backyard flock. They look nothing like a factory bird.

I can no longer find the links to the "What Chicken is Right For You?" quizzes I took when I got my first, in-town flock. (My answer always came up Delaware and Australorp).

I'm still working through my experiments with different breeds to see which I like best and which do best with my climate, conditions, and management style.

I think any of the sex link breeds would work for you as well. I have some Black Sex Links and while mine aren’t laying yet they have great personalities for being part of a backyard flock.

Back
Top Bottom