looking to get ducks for the first time

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jimmythechicken, Mar 29, 2011.

1. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    o.k we have about 30 chickens 2 goat 4 peacocks an 2 dogs an my girls 11 an 13 want to get a few ducks.we live on a little hobby farm on 42 ac an we do have a half acre pond they want them ducks to live in.i am thinking of getting malards but want to know how young you can sex duck an what to look for how old do they need to be before they can live outside on there own.an we live in ct will they leave in the winter an go south an come back in the spring or will they stay all winter thanks for any help jim

2. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    They should be about 8 weeks old before they go outside. Unless the weather is warm. Then you can leave them outside during the day and bring them in at night. With mallard yes they will fly south during the winter. Unless you clip there wings so they cant fly. But that is taing away their best defense against an attack. But ducks are so much fun to have. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. MissusDee

MissusDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Domestic Mallards don't fly south for the winter. They stay in your yard or nearby. They do fly, but doubtful they will go far if you care for them properly. Most other domestic ducks do not fly. I kept my last bunch of ducklings out at 4 weeks. They had a dog house to curl up in together. I did put a heat lamp out when the temps got below like 50, but they didn't use it so I took it out. They are a lot hardier than you might think and this was February when I did it. Basically make sure they have enough feathers covering their bodies, and they have others to curl up with. If it's just two, I may not have done that. Really get a good duck book before you jump into it. Ducks don't need a lot, but it's different than chickens. I like the Storey's guide myself as a jumping point.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  4. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    I let mine out at two weeks in a pen on the patio with a heat lamp (40 degree nights). I could not stand the brooder smell anymore. They spend the day free in the backyard when I am home. I LOVE DUCKS!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by