Looking to raise chickens and build first coop

Hello, Rob, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I'd like to recommend that you build or purchase a coop you can walk in. I am currently converting an old shed that was on my property into my new coop. That is a coop place to start if you are not comfortable building from the ground up.
Good luck!

Hello. My wife and I are new to the chicken world and decided to build our own coop. Neither of us had any building experience, but it hasn’t stopped us from going for it! We’ve been building it with a few basic tools- mitre saw, cordless drill, sawzall, etc. You’ll get a coop sized how big you want it for much cheaper than if you had to buy one or have someone else build it, plus it is satisfying to see your hard work come to fruition!!! You can do it.
Spike

Hey Rob hows it goin?!
I was browsing BYC and saw your post, I had to join so I could reply!
I just got 32 chicks 2 and a half weeks ago!! I am in the process of getting a place prepared for my chicks and soon to be chickens.
Now the real reason I had to reply!
Go to your local big box stores and smaller lumber yards and ask about culled lumber!!! I got 900$ worth of 2x4's and 2x6's from 7'6" to 16' for........ 200$ !!!! WOW! I didn't need to buy all that I did but such a good deal!
Also I found a guy on craigslist that sells 1/2 sheets of plywood for 4$ ea unless you buy 100- 1/2 sheets. Then you get it for 3$ a sheet. Yes I bought 100! Lol
All said and done I paid 83 cents per 2x4 and 2x6 so I will have less than 75 dollars wrapped up into my coop. My coop is an 8x10!!
CULLED LUMBER for the win!!

Are you planning on keeping all 32 of those chicks? Your coop is only big enough for 20
Hey Rob hows it goin?!
I was browsing BYC and saw your post, I had to join so I could reply!
I just got 32 chicks 2 and a half weeks ago!! I am in the process of getting a place prepared for my chicks and soon to be chickens.
Now the real reason I had to reply!
Go to your local big box stores and smaller lumber yards and ask about culled lumber!!! I got 900$ worth of 2x4's and 2x6's from 7'6" to 16' for........ 200$ !!!! WOW! I didn't need to buy all that I did but such a good deal!
Also I found a guy on craigslist that sells 1/2 sheets of plywood for 4$ ea unless you buy 100- 1/2 sheets. Then you get it for 3$ a sheet. Yes I bought 100! Lol
All said and done I paid 83 cents per 2x4 and 2x6 so I will have less than 75 dollars wrapped up into my coop. My coop is an 8x10!!
CULLED LUMBER for the win!!

Wow....such great responses and so quickly too. What a great community! I'll deff have to look more into building my own. We just bought a property and there's ALOT of outbuildings....more than I think I'll ever use, (it was a custom home builder and he had horses so you can imagine...;-). I'll attach some pics and maybe someone will have an idea for an outbuilding coop conversion? Again, thanks to all!!!

Montana... cold country... deep litter bedding. Consider how you plan to deal with frozen waterers. You'll want electricity in their coop for lights, and at least one electrical outlet for an optional heater, incubator, or brooder. Chicken math... 12 to 24 hens, plus a rooster or two, get lucky with a broody hen, or four... 60 birds before ya know it... plan for it, it happens to all of us! Lots of predators in your neck of the woods, so do your best to predator proof their home and consider aerial attacks too. Costs less to build a good fence the first time, than one 'that will do' until it doesn't.
Couldn't agree more with sourland, come cold season, your flock will be spending a lot of time in their coop. A large coop will allow your birds to avoid any of them that are suffering 'cabin fever' (overall grumpiness and picking fights).
The minimum rule of thumb is about 2 to 3 square feet per chicken inside the chicken coop, more for you as it's unlikely they'll want to use a run in the winter for a long time, and 8 to 10 square feet per chicken in an outside run. More square footage is better. Skimping on space requirements for a flock of chickens can cause stress, cannibalism, pecking, and sometimes even death. With 5 acres, you may decide to free range them in good weather, but expect some losses if you do. Enjoy your flock!
Thanks for the thoughtful advice. Yes, I do plan to free range as weather permits and the same dogs, (rottweilers) that I'll have to condition to not eat my birds should make for good chicken guards too... although they haven't quite learned to fly yet so aerials will still be an issue...;-O

Welcome :welcome Glad you decided to join us! If you already have some buildings or barn available - converting that space into a coop and attaching a run if you can’t ( or can only do part time) free range is a good option. I converted an old shed into a coop years ago, by myself and I have 10 thumbs.... got some windows, hardware cloth to use as screens for windows and vents, gutted most of the shelves. After cleaning and painting added some nesting boxes, roosts and cut a pop door in. Look at what you have, post some pictures if you have questions. Check out the coop section for some ideas. :)

Back
Top Bottom