looks like a hurt foot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hennyhandler, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I have a chicken that is favoring one of her legs. She just kind of limps when she walks. I also realized her face looks just a little off. Not noticeable until I was really looking at her. It just looks more bumpy but I think it is slightly swollen. Her foot MIGHT be a little swollen as well but nothing that stands out compared to her other leg. I thought maybe bumblefoot. But when I checked underneath on her pad I dont see any scab or mark. I looked up pictures and everyone i see it is like the pad is super thick and swollen like a knot. Hers is not like that. I also have not heard of any facial changes with bumblefoot either.
    I am thinking she might have sprained it?
    I dont know what else it could be. Is there anything I should give her to help?

Also, her breathing when I was holding her sounded a little raspy but I was thinking this was cause of the slight swelling?

2. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I am now thinking scaly leg mites. I got to looking it up and it might be the VERY beginning stages ot it. There are raised scales and they are a little dry. It can't to treat for it one way or another anyway. I don't know if this would account for the swollen face but..

3. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Treat for scaley mites by applying Vaseline Petroleum Jel to leg surface. (Suffocates mites.) But I wonder if the initial swelling has caused the scales to fan out instead.
    I currently have a roo in the "Chicken-pital" due to foot swelling that got so bad he hid in a nesting box. He does have a dark hard area on the pad of his foot. And his lower leg scales are fanning out.
    We soaked it in warm soapy water last night and gave him a quiet place to rest.
    We were not going to use him for breeding stock, he's just a big Sweet Heart, but if the condition gets worse we will probably euthanize him.
    If I were going to keep him I'd have to: Soak and clean his foot at least daily until scabbed area opens and drains; and I would probably start him on antibiotics (injections). This might last up to 5 to 10 days depending on his progress. This is a lot of work and time and effort on your part if you decide to go this route.
    Gangrene is you biggest worry, if it should get worse, causing necrosis of tissue and loss of toes or even his foot. Barnyards and chick coops are not the most sanitary of places to walk around with an open draining wound.
    This means it will have to be bandaged between soaks.
    Compare affected foot to unaffected one and decide if it really is an hardened that needs draining. Then make your decision what to do.
    PeeperKeeper

4. PeeperKeeper

Sorry forgot to address swollen face. This can be due to an upper respiratory infection.
    Check here: http://www.apa-abayouthpoultryclub.org/Edu_Material/Poultry Diseases/EXTERNAL SYMPTOMS FOR DIAGNOSING POULTRY

Or do research here on BYC for chronic bronchitis, respiratory dieseases and (heaven help us) a nasty thing called CORYZA.

I'll say a prayer for you and your little friend.
    Peep

5. PeeperKeeper

Sorry Again: rule number 1....Isolate the sick bird from the rest of the flock!
    Peep

6. AshPack

AshPack Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2012
    A swollen face and limping is indeed a respiratory infection. Ive seen it in birds infected with mycoplasma but i wouldnt say its mycoplasma unless the swelling is around the eyes. if the swelling is more around the face it definatly some type of respiritory infection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by