Looks like a seed is sprouting in the poop!

Tumbleweedlynn

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Sep 5, 2022
Central New Mexico
Hi all - one of my chickens just recently passed, of what, we do not know. Posted some necropsy pics, but no one commented. The were no visible worms.

I saw this in someone’s poop a couple days ago, but these things weren’t moving, so I didn’t worry about it. I just now saw the same thing in someone else’s poop, and they were moving.

Assuming this is worms, what do I need to treat the flock?

Thanks!
62A45DFF-9186-4165-9F87-1DC8B0168B92.jpeg
30B6D353-8F1F-4295-9404-9B85C02A1702.jpeg

Yes, I agree, that looks like tapeworm segments. A horse wormer paste called Equimax at a dosage of 0.03 ml per pound given once and again in in 10-14 days can treat it. That is a small amount, about 0.15 ml for a 5 pound chicken. Use a 1 ml syringe for accuracy, and available with a needle at most pharmacies. Not all chickens would need to be treated, just the ones passing those tape segments. Zimectrin Gold or Droncit tablets may also be used at different dosages.

Last edited:
Tapeworms are spread by an intermediate host, such as flies, snails, slugs, earthworms, beetles, and grasshoppers. If any of those are swallowed by the chicken, they will get tapeworms. So not all birds will have them. Removing those intermediate hosts and keeping dropping cleaned up can help reduce the risk.

Back
Top Bottom