looks like chicks got period - 4 wks old - help

maui chicks

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 3, 2011
My husband and I have 12 chicks, approx. 4 wks old, 3 of each: barred rock, road isle red, black sexlinks and ameraucana. Today, we woke up and noticed blood atop their bedding. It doesn't look like bloody stools so much as it looks as if a chick or a group of chicks got their periods. The blood is soaked into the bedding, and it looks runny, as opposed to clumps in stools or traces of blood in stool.

They all still seem energetic and are eating and drinking fine. No alarming noises or out-of-character behavior to indicate they may be ill.

We are very worried and care about our chicks a ton.

Any advice will help. I'm thinking about taking a sample of the blood to a vet this morning, but I will be late to work. Mahalo for your quick replies!

Other facts about our chicks:
We got them from a local resident who raises, sells, when they were one day old.
They are feathering out, all normal size, with normal energy levels and behavior.
We are keeping them indoors for a couple more weeks and have kept a heating lamp on until a few days ago.
Area is well-ventilated and not too warm, not too cold.
We've fed them starter feed, with hard-boiled eggs sometimes.
We've taken them outside a few times and they've eaten a few worms, digging through the grass. No pesticides in area. Grass and land is good.
No vaccines or antibiotics have been used on them as of yet.

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from WI!
Sorry, I can't help

It sounds like your chicks might be shedding intestinal lining which is normal on occasion. If they had coccidia... they would be lethargic, fluffed up, not eating or drinking. They would need to be treated with corid or they would quickly die. Take a look at this poop chart and try and determine what their poop looks like.
http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Thanks for the advice! I did check out that link before I posted, but none really look like the blood. Maybe the one at the bottom, which shows it is intestinal lining.

The more I monitored this morning, the more it seems as if the blood may be coming from an external injury. A friend who raises chicks said that they may be getting bored and possibly pecking at each other, or preying on the weakest chick. When my husband and I get home, we're going to look at each chick for possible wounds.

I had no idea they could be aggressive with one another. I thought that was more of a male characteristic.

I appreciate your post. Thanks again!

Avoid the sulmet, it can be hard on the chicks and even slight overdoses can cause organ damage. Start with the corid/amprol/amproloprium... much larger margin of safety and easier on the organs.

Quote:
Aloha neighbor,

welcome-byc.gif
and I was looking around and I have to say that is odd. If they are having red stool like things.

Here is a site to read on diseases. http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disparas.htm

But I do agree with "DAWG53" it could be they are shedding their intestinal lining. If they are still healthy and picking up weight. Chick starter has medications in it unless you got the non-medicated type of chick starter. Which will help them, I used that with my chicks. Keep on monitoring their stool and see if there are any changes. I am glad that you are concerned about your chickies! Keep us posted on any updates...

Back
Top Bottom