Looky what we caught tonight!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lickskillet, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wanda047

wanda047 Songster

Mar 26, 2009
    Hardy, Arkansas
    My Mom used to make the best coon dumplings [​IMG]

2. ravencreek

ravencreek Songster

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    Quote:I agree.

actually coon hounds are trained to run it up a tree. Then it is humanly dispatched by human hands. [​IMG]

PS, read Where the red fern grows [​IMG] Great story about coon hounds!

I must agree about the book, but not about the hunting with coon hounds. We have quite a few hounds and I must admit that even tho we shoot the coons down outta the tree that doesn't mean they are dead by the time they hit the ground. Our coon hounds have a ball playing with them. Dead or alive. Sorry to those who oppose of Coon Hunting. I'm a proud Coon Hunter. Among other things.

ETA: Sometimes the coons aren't chased into the tree, they are already there. You know you have a good hunter when it trees a coon that is already in the tree. Any dog can chase a coon up a tree(our Great Danes do it), it takes a GREAT dog to find the ones already there.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  3. rufus

rufus Crowing

May 17, 2007
    Fill a 55 gallon drum with water, then dunk the trap and critter into it. There is less chance of getting bit.

Rufus

4. Stina

Stina Songster

May 6, 2009
    Allentown, PA
    That's incredibly cruel...and sick.

5. jywel417

jywel417 Songster

Mar 4, 2009
    Atlanta
    I have a friend who takes my coons to also train his coon hounds with. Whether or not you all think it is inhumane it is no more inhumane than raising chickens for meat. Lets love and cuddle this chicken, give it a place to run then kill it and serve it up. If coon hunters DID NOT hunt coons you all would be MUCH worse off for the coon count. More power to the coon hunters imo. You show me proof that the raccoon numbers are teetering on the brink of extinction then I might say let up on em a little but gosh guys, when it all comes down to it this is the circle of lifel It isn't kids torturing animals for fun, it is people protecting what is theirs, we kill coons to protect our food. coons kill our food to feed their young and let me tell you, i guarantee you they slaughter anything smaller than them that might be a threat to them or their young.

Not to mention the several ppl who have stated that coonhounds just tree the coon then hunters dispatch of it, this is true. And you have to have some way to train them and this guy was trapping his own and recycling when he could. Now he can use my coons for training when his traps are empty. Where as he was trapping jus for training, I am trapping to save my birds and giving him my caught goods to train his dogs. And i'm great with this set up

***ETA wanted to also say that the coon hunters I know in this area when using a coon like the ones I catch for training go to their training grounds, let the coon go and then give it a 30 to 40 min start before starting on the trail with their dogs, so that gives the coon plenty of time to recover itself and get on the move. If it needed more time to that to recover and move on it would not be the die hard survivor we know today . . . ***

6. Stina

Stina Songster

May 6, 2009
    Allentown, PA
    Whether or not you all think it is inhumane it is no more inhumane than raising chickens for meat.

The difference is the torture to the coons...that the chickens aren't subjected to. Killing in it of itself is not inhumane.......trapping a wild animal and confining it in a cage only to be released and hunted down by dogs before being shot is sheer torture, plain and simple. It is cruel and unnecessary. You do not need live animals to train...all you need is scent.

**Just because they take off and run doesn't mean they've recovered from their trauma.......its means they ran scared.... They survive b/c their instincts tell them when "flight or fight" is in order.......when they've been trapped and terrified they generally know flight is in order........or when a bunch of dogs are after them.​

7. We dispatch all trapped animals humanly.
    Please do not flame the OP.
    Evey one has his or her tolerance, but please do not impose yours on others.
    What may be a horrid and cruel tolerance to you may be a family tradition for others.

NO one likes for their pets to be killed by a predator. How an individual takes care of this problem is as personal as how they take care of the animals in their charge.

8. sealsandwich

sealsandwich Songster

Nov 3, 2008
    Alaska
    Quote:So awesome!!! This may be the best form of recycling trash I have seen yet...

9. Akane

Akane Crowing

Jun 15, 2008
    I think the argument is that the animal is being needlessly harassed before death. Those that coon hunt though find it is very useful and sometimes important training. I've had plenty of hunters ask for quail just so they can turn them loose, let the dogs track them down and harass them, and then shoot them. It's all for controlled training moments so the dogs can be more successful on more realistic hunts where the prey has not been laid out for them. The dogs have to start somewhere and get practice in somehow. Also many hunts now are somewhat staged in that fashion. A trapped or farm raised animal is released shortly before the hunt begins and hunted down instead of trying to find a wild animal in the area. This really is no different. The animal just wasn't caught or raised specifically for that purpose.

10. Jayare's Chicks

Jayare's Chicks Songster

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    Well I lost 2 ducks and 1 chicken in 4 days at the beginning of this week due to a predator. (thinking it's a coon, it only ate their heads) I have a live trap set out behind the coop and I go outside about 3-5 times a night with my shotgun and sit on the bench and wait and listen for it to show up just hoping the little booger comes back while I'm out there. That shotgun is going to be my coon hound!!!!

If some of you on here don't like how we deal with predators on OUR property with OUR livestock you are more than welcome to NOT read these threads. Just wait till the coons and opposems and such start showing up at your place and wiping out your birds and see what you end up doing because they WILL eventually show up. It's just a matter of time.

If I ever catch one in my live trap you are more than welcome to come get it and release it on YOUR property so I don't have to deal with it.

Jayare

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: