Looky what we caught tonight!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lickskillet, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:The difference is the torture to the coons...that the chickens aren't subjected to. Killing in it of itself is not inhumane.......trapping a wild animal and confining it in a cage only to be released and hunted down by dogs before being shot is sheer torture, plain and simple. It is cruel and unnecessary. You do not need live animals to train...all you need is scent.

**Just because they take off and run doesn't mean they've recovered from their trauma.......its means they ran scared.... They survive b/c their instincts tell them when "flight or fight" is in order.......when they've been trapped and terrified they generally know flight is in order........or when a bunch of dogs are after them.

Stina, go back through and read the rules of the forum. If you are having a hard time finding the rules of this forum I've posted the link below.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5808

If you are still having a hard time finding the specific rules you broke, I've cut and paste some right below this. Please keep your flames to yourself. Thus endeth the sermon.

*If information is graphic, please note it in the subject line of your post so members can make a decision whether they want to open the thread or not. If you choose to open a thread with said warnings, it is not BYC's responsibility when you are offended.

*Dealing with predators and pests is not always pleasant. Although sometimes hard to do, please be as sensitive as possible when explaining procedures and results. Some younger members and/or squeamish adults will appreciate it.

*Although some ways are not considered ideal to some, it serves the purpose of removing the offending predator. If you have an idea or a helpful comment, please do reply. If it is a sarcastic comment about the disposal or capture of a predator, please keep your thoughts to yourself. We are not here to judge one another on methods or ways and means.​

2. Stina

Stina Songster

May 6, 2009
    Allentown, PA
    There was no warning for this thread (had I known the full topic I'd not have opened it), there was no sensitivity in the description, I was not being sarcastic, and I said nothing against the actual disposal or capture of the animal, only the process between the two. I have no problem with catching and kiling humanely (when legal, and only when legal), but when you start adding torture into the mix it becomes something else. An animal being intentionally frightened being cruelty isn't a matter of opinion......its just what it is; something being tradition doesn't make it not cruel. I'm also not the only one to have said anything, so I don't see why I'm being singled out.

3. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    there needs not be a warning for each thread in the Predator's and Pests section that's why the rules are stickied up on top. Just trying to help the OP out so this thread doesn't get locked and deleted. Too many people trolling for arguments. If that wasn't your intention I'm sorry, but you have to read the rules of every section so you know what you are getting yourself into.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  4. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Songster

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:The difference is the torture to the coons...that the chickens aren't subjected to. Killing in it of itself is not inhumane.......trapping a wild animal and confining it in a cage only to be released and hunted down by dogs before being shot is sheer torture, plain and simple. It is cruel and unnecessary. You do not need live animals to train...all you need is scent.

**Just because they take off and run doesn't mean they've recovered from their trauma.......its means they ran scared.... They survive b/c their instincts tell them when "flight or fight" is in order.......when they've been trapped and terrified they generally know flight is in order........or when a bunch of dogs are after them.

Obviously you have never had a trapped coon come out of the trap and tear something up. generally people who dont know enough to dispatch said coon, have been injured trying this.
    Obviously you have never lost your precious chickens ducks pea powl, geese to one of them.
    Coons for the most part are one of the few preditors that are not afraid of us humans.
    coons carry rabies, as do most warm blooded annimals, now when they start making it mandatory to spay neuter, vaccinate against rabies and distemper than I might concider letting the theiving bandits kill off $200.00 more of my rare birds, untill such time they will be dispatched.
    Hunting with dogs is acceptable in most all areas of this country. Running dogs is totally legal in most states.
    Unless .... which is a whole different argument.

If you dont like the tone of this thread or anyother thread in this section of the forum,please feel free to visit some of the other sections, we are here to deal with and learn, not here to criticize how something is done.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  5. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Crowing

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Ok. So we've got some pro and con arguments in regards to hunting coons. And the winner of the argument is (scroll down)...........

PETA....who if they stumble upon this thread will file it away in the "Anti-Backyard-Chicken" and "Anti-Coon-Hunting" folder for later use.

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: