1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

loose dark poo = not enough grit??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by carress, Apr 7, 2008.

1. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    I ran out of grit.
    When I was low, I came here and on another forum, and it seems that there's grit in the nutrena chick starter... so I didn't buy any more.

now I noticed at least one of my chick's poop is drak brown and very runny... it this normal, or it is due to not having grit. Should I get more? What should I get if so???

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

A few dark creamy poos are normal. Like melted chocolate. It's their cecal poo. As long as they are getting only chick starter, you don't need grit. If you give treats, do give them grit. Sand or just dirt from outside works. Dirt from outside will also introduce them to the flora of the area to help them build immunities.

3. JustChicky

JustChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    I read this on www.backyardpoultrymag.com:

"Branching off between the small and large intestine are two blind pouches, called the ceca (one is a cecum), having no known function. The ceca empty their contents two or three times a day, producing pasty droppings that often smell worse than regular droppings. The frequency of cecal droppings, and their appearance among regular droppings, tells you the chicken's digestive system is functioning normally."​

4. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    Thankyou

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by