Loose & Detached Air Cells.. need help with incubating tips ASAP!

More_eggs

Chirping
Jan 5, 2021
Happy New Year Everyone! Can someone help me with any tips on hatching shipped eggs thru mail? I received the eggs I purchased on EBay 2 days ago. This is my second time hatching shipped eggs. Obviously, my first try was a disaster. I followed some tips I gathered online. I managed to hatch only 4 out out of 22 eggs.. yikes! I may have probably missed something important step along the way. I used the normal method of incubating which is the “wet method”. And now the grand question.. Would the “dry method” of incubating be more productive in my situation? I have never tried the “dry method”, ever. Thank you in advance!

:welcome:woot:woot:celebrate:yesss:Hello and welcome to BYC, You found an Awesome poultry Forum to be a part of with many great knowledgeable members who are more then willing to jump in and help you with any questions you may have. :)

Sorry I am unable to help you, someone should be around shortly to better assist you. Best of luck. :)

:welcome:woot:woot:celebrate:yesss:Hello and welcome to BYC, You found an Awesome poultry Forum to be a part of with many great knowledgeable members who are more then willing to jump in and help you with any questions you may have. :)

Sorry I am unable to help you, someone should be around shortly to better assist you. Best of luck. :)

Thank you, and Stay Safe Always!

1609844127743.gif

Good luck this new year with the eggs and you’re chickens.

Give the eggs a 24 h rest. Thats all the help I can give. I don’t have any experience with incubators. Only natural breeding.

Next time wait till the season is better (temp). And best thing to do is to collect the eggs from a breeder yourself to transport the eggs careful, safe and quick.

Welcome to BYC! What kind of incubator are you using? The dry incubation method works well in most styrofoam incubators.
What did you observe in your last hatch? No developments at all? Lots of quitters? Early or late quitters? Do you use a secondary calibrated thermometer and hygrometer? That may help us to determine what can be changed to improve this hatch.
One thing to keep in mind is that when you're hatching shipped eggs you're dealing with a lot of unknowns as to what happens to those eggs while in the hands of the postal service and sometimes no matter how hard we try you can't fix whatever the postal service scrambles before it even gets to you.

Happy New Year Everyone! Can someone help me with any tips on hatching shipped eggs thru mail? I received the eggs I purchased on EBay 2 days ago. This is my second time hatching shipped eggs. Obviously, my first try was a disaster. I followed some tips I gathered online. I managed to hatch only 4 out out of 22 eggs.. yikes! I may have probably missed something important step along the way. I used the normal method of incubating which is the “wet method”. And now the grand question.. Would the “dry method” of incubating be more productive in my situation? I have never tried the “dry method”, ever. Thank you in advance!
20201204_10372515.jpg

View attachment 2476448
Good luck this new year with the eggs and you’re chickens.

Give the eggs a 24 h rest. Thats all the help I can give. I don’t have any experience with incubators. Only natural breeding.

Next time wait till the season is better (temp). And best thing to do is to collect the eggs from a breeder yourself to transport the eggs careful, safe and quick.

thanks!

Welcome to BYC! What kind of incubator are you using? The dry incubation method works well in most styrofoam incubators.
What did you observe in your last hatch? No developments at all? Lots of quitters? Early or late quitters? Do you use a secondary calibrated thermometer and hygrometer? That may help us to determine what can be changed to improve this hatch.
One thing to keep in mind is that when you're hatching shipped eggs you're dealing with a lot of unknowns as to what happens to those eggs while in the hands of the postal service and sometimes no matter how hard we try you can't fix whatever the postal service scrambles before it even gets to you.
I’m using 2 incubators of the same kind, and they are both made of plastic, not styrofoam. But I think it’s not about the incubators. On my first attempt, I have watched a few videos in youtube that used the similar incubators that I’m using as well and they achieved better hatching percentage. I’m using 3 different brands of thermometers, not including the incubator’s, and two different brands of hygrometer (kinda control freak a bit). I just thought that there are better ways or maybe additional steps that I could do during the incubation period using the dry method.

If you want more answers you better make a new thread in the incubating and hatching forum. I do now the air chambers often get messy from transport. Bad air chambers come from hustling in transport. If you have a good torch you can see if anything is wrong. Put the air cell(s) in the best position can help. @abpatchy or @Erba maybe knows?.

If you want more answers you better make a new thread in the incubating and hatching forum. I do now the air chambers often get messy from transport. Bad air chambers come from hustling in transport. If you have a good torch you can see if anything is wrong. Put the air cell(s) in the best position can help. @abpatchy or @Erba maybe knows?.
I really don't have experience with that. I have heard that placing the eggs upright in an egg carton to keep the air cell on top would help during hatch. I usually only hatch my own eggs and never had that problem. Just one egg so far and it did not make it to lockdown. So sorry, I can't help.

Back
Top Bottom