Loose spur

Can you get photos of both her feet while she's standing?

Not sure why both would be swollen to be honest.
Have taken some more pics. I’m keeping her inside as she can barely walk. Sleeping most of the day and doesn’t seem very interested in food or water, even treats (soaked bits of bread). Feet both seem very sore. Poo is very watery. Beginning to wonder if it’s more than just the spur that’s the problem.

3D7DA016-F993-472B-AFA0-C1CBCC57C8FC.jpeg

C55804B0-D7B9-4676-BC8D-9F733EF244DE.jpeg

I will soak feet again in epsom salts this afternoon then try to gently stabilise the spur with vetwrap, and see how she goes, but she seems to have gone downhill very quickly.
Have taken some more pics. I’m keeping her inside as she can barely walk. Sleeping most of the day and doesn’t seem very interested in food or water, even treats (soaked bits of bread). Feet both seem very sore. Poo is very watery. Beginning to wonder if it’s more than just the spur that’s the problem.

View attachment 3323138
View attachment 3323141

"Loose" spur is her right one?
Her left foot looks more swollen than the right to me. Is there a greenish tint to her skin on the foot?

Any signs of infection, bumblefoot or anything on the bottom of her feet?

When was her last egg? Any swelling, bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen?
Is she pooping, what's that like?
Crop emptying?

I'd work on hydration, if you have electrolytes, that would be good. Once drinking, then offer some feed (wet or dry), a little egg to entice her.

Have you ever had respiratory illness within your flock or other birds with symptoms of Marek's?

I agree, it seems more is going on than just a loose spur.

"Loose" spur is her right one?
Her left foot looks more swollen than the right to me. Is there a greenish tint to her skin on the foot?

Any signs of infection, bumblefoot or anything on the bottom of her feet?

When was her last egg? Any swelling, bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen?
Is she pooping, what's that like?
Crop emptying?

I'd work on hydration, if you have electrolytes, that would be good. Once drinking, then offer some feed (wet or dry), a little egg to entice her.

Have you ever had respiratory illness within your flock or other birds with symptoms of Marek's?

I agree, it seems more is going on than just a loose spur.
Thanks.

Yes loose spur is the right one, and the other foot is definitely just as swollen if not moreso. There’s no wounds on either foot to suggest bumblefoot ( though I understand there is not always a scab visible for bumblefoot).

The abdomen is actually quite thin, she hardly weighs a thing, which is very well disguised with all those feathers. But she has always been the guts, and top of the pecking order, so this did surprise me. She is about five years old and has not laid for around a year - I just assumed she had gone into‘retirement’.

Poops are very watery and a bit greenish. I’ll check the crop in the morning.

I was able to get some fluid into her tonight and lighly bandaged the loose spur, and she pecked at a strawberry and some lettuce but wouldn’t touch her usual feed or bread even. I’ll try some egg next.

No respiratory illnesses, but I did sadly lose a poor hen about 7 years ago who wasted away to some drawn out illness (undisgnosed) which didn’t respond to any treatment. I’m hoping this isn’t going to be a repeat of that experience.

Thanks.

Yes loose spur is the right one, and the other foot is definitely just as swollen if not moreso. There’s no wounds on either foot to suggest bumblefoot ( though I understand there is not always a scab visible for bumblefoot).

The abdomen is actually quite thin, she hardly weighs a thing, which is very well disguised with all those feathers. But she has always been the guts, and top of the pecking order, so this did surprise me. She is about five years old and has not laid for around a year - I just assumed she had gone into‘retirement’.

Poops are very watery and a bit greenish. I’ll check the crop in the morning.

I was able to get some fluid into her tonight and lighly bandaged the loose spur, and she pecked at a strawberry and some lettuce but wouldn’t touch her usual feed or bread even. I’ll try some egg next.

No respiratory illnesses, but I did sadly lose a poor hen about 7 years ago who wasted away to some drawn out illness (undisgnosed) which didn’t respond to any treatment. I’m hoping this isn’t going to be a repeat of that experience.
Poor baby 😢 can you give her sweetened water to get some calories in her. It may boost her appetite. Try to give her raw yolk today, also pop some pellets into her beak, she needs to keep her strength up.

Your hen does not just have a spur problem. She may have some kind of infection.
Spurs do break off. I've had a few rooster snap spurs off at the point where they join the leg. What usually happens is they bleed a lot but other wise they are back to normal the next day provided the bleeding is stopped.
Your hen is sick and I doubt that you will work out what the problem is on the internet. Take her to a vet.

My Buff Orpington hen has large spurs, approx 4cm.

She was limping today and I noticed that one of the spurs is suddenly flexible, I can move it around quite freely as if it is no longer attached on the inside (outer skin is still attached as normal and there is no sign of injury, blood etc). The other spur is normal.

I can only guess the spur has somehow been snapped on the inside where the hard bit joins the leg, perhaps by jumping off the perch.

Wondering if anyone has come across this and has advice for treatment, or if I should just wait and see? I think the bird is in pain unfortunately.
Yes, it hurts. But she'll heal. You should probably remove the spur to prevent infection and to let it heal more quickly. It is literally a giant toe nail, it will not reattach on its own. Leaving it on will cause her to be in pain longer.

I went through something similar with my Americauna Rooster. He looks a bit goofy with one spur, but he's still just as lovable.

Yes, it hurts. But she'll heal. You should probably remove the spur to prevent infection and to let it heal more quickly. It is literally a giant toe nail, it will not reattach on its own. Leaving it on will cause her to be in pain longer.

I went through something similar with my Americauna Rooster. He looks a bit goofy with one spur, but he's still just as lovable.
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately she passed away in the night. There was obviously a lot more going on, she deteriorated very quickly, poor girl. 😢

Back
Top Bottom