Loosing chicks

peepmommy

Songster
7 Years
Feb 15, 2012
My broody hatched out 8 eggs. They are a week old now. I found the first dead chick 4 days ago, didn't seem to have any trauma (stepped on), plenty of food/water. Last night I found the second chick clinging onto life. She was freezing cold. I rushed her inside, trying to warm her and gave her some warm sugar water. She seemed to be taking it ok, but she was too far gone and died in my hands. I am not really sure what is happening. I want to make sure all of the rest make it. They all seem super active and happy, but so did the other two just before they died. I am checking on them more often so if anything does go wrong, maybe I can catch it before it's too late. Any thoughts would be great!

sometime when a chick get's down the hen will not care for them because they know they are sick and will not make it...they will not let them under her because she does not want to affect her other chick's.....but i would take them all out and give them all some sugar water and do it daily and see if it help's

I caught the second one just a little late. Too cold to turn around... Started warming and sugar water immediately, but unfortunately it was too late for her :( I was thinking the hen kicked her out for one reason or another, but I am really checking on them more often, just in case it happens again, I can catch it in time.

Back
Top Bottom