Loosing feathers around vent

deserthens

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 13, 2011
Tucson, Arizona
A friend of mine has a problem with her hens.
What would cause hens to loose their feathers around their vents? This is only happening to the Barred Rock hens. They had some build up of fecal material and now have lost the feathers around their vents.

I'm having a similar problem with one of my girls (dark brahma). She's had a goopy white mess coming from her vent for a long time now. The vet said he thought I damaged her kidneys by giving them oyster shells .... but, if you'll forgive me, he seems to be a bit of an idiot. Didn't know what scratch was and thinks giving them anything other that feed is very very wrong ... they are happily attacking some fresh veggies as I type this
wink.png

I've read a few websites that talk about 'gleet' ... if someone more knowledgeable than I has any tips, this novice would love to hear them :)

This is an older photo -- she's losing feathers now as well

I'm having a similar problem with one of my girls (dark brahma). She's had a goopy white mess coming from her vent for a long time now. The vet said he thought I damaged her kidneys by giving them oyster shells .... but, if you'll forgive me, he seems to be a bit of an idiot. Didn't know what scratch was and thinks giving them anything other that feed is very very wrong ... they are happily attacking some fresh veggies as I type this
wink.png

I've read a few websites that talk about 'gleet' ... if someone more knowledgeable than I has any tips, this novice would love to hear them :)

This is an older photo -- she's losing feathers now as well
http://www.ultimatefowl.com/wiki/index.php?title=Vent_Gleet
I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom