Loosing feathers, swollen bottom!

CountyLine

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 23, 2011
One of our hens- 1 yr old- has lost feathers under her vent, is swollen there and seems to be loosing more and more feathers from other places everyday. I thought it is too soon for her to molt...could it be stress?
Also- Did a warm water soak last night and separated her to see if she is laying or not. No egg yet. Maybe I'm overreacting? She is eating, drinking and seems happy, but she does move slower and sometimes stands with her tail lowered. Any thoughts? This is a pic of her bottom a few days ago...

I have the same problem with a couple of mine. idk what it is or how to stop it, but they've been like that for a couple of months and have been ok. i think it might be pecking or something. from what i've read, feathers don't usually grow back until the chicken molts so for now i wouldn't be too worried. like i said, i have the same problem but my girls act normal and lay eggs consistently. sorry i can't be of more help.

Last edited:
You could try worming her. When my chickens got worms, one of them had looser droppings that stuck to the feathers until they pulled off from the weight. This is just something to try.

Back
Top Bottom