Loosing feathers

Duckrunners

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2020
My Indian Running Ducks are 4wks old.
For the past week they have been losing their feathers. It started around the eyes then wings and tail feathers. Is this normal or do I have a problem? Right now their eating non medicated organic chic starter called, Scratch and Peck.

Hello, and Welcome to BYC! So glad you decided to join!

Could you post a picture of them? A little bit of feather loss around their body when young is normal, they'll often lose a little bit of fluff before growing their teenage feathers, but if it's excessive balding around the eye's/face/body that may indicate there are some poor management practices in play, such as an insufficient deep water source.

What breed are they? Heavyweight breeds should have a feed that contains 70mg of niacin per kilo, any other breeds should have at least 55mg/per kilo. I doubt your feed is satisfying that requirement. For ducklings, Purina Flock Raiser is a great choice and can be fed all the way to death, just provide a calcium source once they are at the point of lay.

Hello, and Welcome to BYC! So glad you decided to join!

Could you post a picture of them? A little bit of feather loss around their body when young is normal, they'll often lose a little bit of fluff before growing their teenage feathers, but if it's excessive balding around the eye's/face/body that may indicate there are some poor management practices in play, such as an insufficient deep water source.

What breed are they? Heavyweight breeds should have a feed that contains 70mg of niacin per kilo, any other breeds should have at least 55mg/per kilo. I doubt your feed is satisfying that requirement. For ducklings, Purina Flock Raiser is a great choice and can be fed all the way to death, just provide a calcium source once they are at the point of lay.
I noticed after posting this that my ducklings are growing their feathers in. They are Indian Running Ducks and from what I've read and heard from people that have them they don't need water to swim in, but I put them in a kiddy pool anyway and they love it. I recently started giving them greens in the pool also. The feed store where I purchased them said no bugs or vegetables until 6mths old. I don't understand that one at all. They also said NO on the niacin.

as far as my understanding goes, im pretty sure treats and bugs are okay after 2 weeks old. I could be wrong but my ducks have been eating treats since 1.5 ish weeks and are just fine! just make sure they are chopped up in swallowable chunks! a choking duck is a prettty nerve wracking experience (but manageable!) :woot

Grit is very important when feeding brooded ducklings anything but their starter. And treats should only be 10% of their daily diet. Chick grit for very young ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom