I have 3 Indian Running Ducks. Right now they are 4wks old. This is my first time raising ducks. I'm looking forward to learning more about Ducks. Thx

Duckrunners

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2020
My 4wk old ducklings are losing their feathers. It started around the eyes and then the wings and tail. Is this normal or do I have a problem? It's my first time raising Ducks. They eat a non medicated, organic chic starter called, Scratch and Peck. Is there anything I should be adding to their food.

It was recommended to me by the feed store plus they didn't have anything organic for ducklings.
I wouldn't trust a feed store employee as far as I could throw them.
You need to read the information on the bag and make sure it's appropriate for water fowl. You may have to use something that is not organic. It MUST be appropriate for water fowl and it will read so on the packaging.

Hello, and Welcome to BYC! So glad you decided to join!

Could you post a picture of them? A little bit of feather loss around their body when young is normal, they'll often lose a little bit of fluff before growing their teenage feathers, but if it's excessive balding around the eye's/face/body that may indicate there are some poor management practices in play, such as an insufficient deep water source.

What breed are they? Heavyweight breeds should have a feed that contains 70mg of niacin per kilo, any other breeds should have at least 55mg/per kilo. I doubt your feed is satisfying that requirement. For ducklings, Purina Flock Raiser is a great choice and can be fed all the way to death, just provide a calcium source once they are at the point of lay.

Lucky you! I LOVE runner ducks. This year, I was able to buy a Purina food made specifically for ducklings. However, in past years I have raised runners of non-medicated chicken feed. Since ducklings need more niacin than chicks, I've added brewer's yeast when I could get it. Rural Iowa isn't always the best place to buy seemingly normal stuff.

When I haven't been able to get the yeast, I feed the babies frozen peas, which naturally contain niacin. I'm no expert, but it gets them by without major health issues.

Enjoy your runners!! Welcome to BYC

Back
Top Bottom