Lopsided / Misshapen Crop?

CrosStitching

Chirping
11 Years
Jul 25, 2012
Space Coast, FL
This is my 3 week old Black Sex Link pullet. When I bought her she had a bald spot on the right side of her neck near the base. Since she's starting to feather out I assumed that's what it was. But one night after she pigged out on a treat of Avocado, I noticed the bald patch sat on top of what I thought might be a cyst or tumor. The lump seemed to feel like a part of her crop or a continuation of it. It was very full and somewhat squishy. This was very different from my other three chicks. The chicks behavior, and food and water consumption were all normal and the same as the other girls'. I called my friend AvidHomestead and she recommended isolation for the night and only giving her water to see if it was part of her crop and if it drained, checking to see without a full crop if it was on the wing joint, and inspecting her stool for irregularities. Here are the Pictures:

My friends advice was great, and after one night on water only, the lump drained completely and the skin was loose. Her droppings were normal, as was the wing joint. After letting her eat again, the skin filled up and fluctuates size with her food intake. I've decided that she has a misshapen crop. It seems her crop starts at the front and wraps around to the right side of her neck along the base. Her behavior, food/water intake, growth, and stool all continue to be good.

Does anyone else have experience with a crooked crop?

The crop isn't in the middle of the neck. It is attached to the top of the right breast.
Once the crop gets engorged it sometimes stays that way. Prognosis should be better for a young bird like yours.

I would let her have small helpings of starter/grower several times a day till her growth rate catches up with the crop. It may work.
Don't let her get real hungry and gorge herself.

When the crop is empty, that sends the hunger signal. Birds kept from eating too long will often gorge themselves.
Food should be available first thing in the morning.

Are there any bad long term side effects? It hasn't gotten that engorged again, just at a regular level most of the time and a bit emptier after sleeping like the other girls.

She looks to have a normal crop to me. This is normal, and especially evident on chicks!

Just as a side note, avocado is known to be toxic to birds (it is fatal for parrots). The amount of toxicity is unknown in chickens, though the peel and seed seem to have the highest level of toxins. It's best to avoid, especially for a chick.

Back
Top Bottom