Los Angeles, CA - chicken newbie, long-time BYC looker ;)

jewelg

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 2, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Hello, Chicken People!

My name is Jewel and I live in Los Angeles with my partner, Chris, and his daughter. We are getting ready to be first-time chicken owners (2nd week of August, 2020), so we're figuring out our coop set up now, and trying to balance time and money.

We're planning to get 6 chickens; 2 Silkies for sweetness and fluff, 2 Rhode Island Reds for steady production, and two Ameracaunas for pretty eggs. Also open to suggestions on breeds that do well together and handle heat fairly well. We're certainly open to adjusting the breeds since we don't actually have them yet.

I'm looking forward to having company in the garden and to the eggs, and to potentially selling eggs to friends - we'll see how that goes. While it doesn't seem like it will offset the cost of the coop/run, it might help with the feed. ;) Also excited to get some great compost and to help our family feel more connected to their food and where it comes from.

I also garden, and we love to hike, backpack and camp. I've started a gardening program at a youth shelter in Hollywood and, if we end up with a chicken who has a temperament suited to meeting lots of people, I might bring her in as a visitor.

I've heard there's a Los Angeles or Southern California thread, but haven't found it - any tips? And if anyone in Los Angeles or the surrounding area is open to having us swing by (with masks, distance, etc) to look at your set up, we'd really appreciate it! Finally, looking for tips on shed conversion for our climate in So Cal here.

Great to BE with you on BYC now, and not just be lurking in the background! :)

- Jewel

Thanks, Penny - SoCal for me, so this one: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/california-southern.161/page-679

This is the only forum I'm part of, so still learning the navigation. I joined ages ago but was only perusing from time to time. Now, I'm actively learning and getting set up. :)

Back
Top Bottom