losing a chicken

parlor93

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2015
Well I have done all kinds of stuff for this chicken. She as been walking all wide spread,not laying,her comb is now turning purple and her breathing is labored. I soaked her in a warm bath tonight and massaged her swollen ,very tight belly. Nothing helped move anything. I suspect she will be gone in the morning. Really I hope she is gone in the morning. She is not happy or crazy funny, like she use to be.

It sounds like she may be suffering from internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, or ascites (fluid in the belly.) How old is she? Has she been laying eggs lately? If her lower belly is full and tight with fluid, you could try to withdraw some of the fluid with an 18 gauge needle to help her breathing. Antibiotics can be used to prolong the life sometimes in hens with EYP. A vet could probably help with treating her, or helping to put her out of her misery.

She is 2years old. She has not maher for quite a while. She was molting first and then began to look sick. Comb looked a little purple,but that come and go. Then she started walking different. I thought she needed to lay an egg,but could not find anything. Tomorrow I will try drawing off liquid

Back
Top Bottom