Losing chicks --- WHY?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rayintexas, Dec 18, 2012.

1. rayintexas

rayintexas New Egg

Dec 18, 2012
    Received 25 cornish rocks last week. Have already lost 5!! They seem to be doing very well then next morning .... either one has died or is very weakened with one leg gone lame? What should I do?? Temp is good. They are eating fine. Water is clean and they are drinking. any help??

2. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    Are you feeding them unmedicated feed? Cause they might have Coccidiosis, this happens to chicks. Use medicated chick feed to reduce the chances (If you are have been using medicated feed the whole time, then I don't know)

3. bwalden

bwalden Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Arkansas
    Mix some sugar with your water for a few days. Often chicks don't really have a lot of energy after shipping and won't eat and drink so well after they come in. You might even have to dip their beeks in the sugar water a few times until they figure it out on their own.

4. Good luck to you and your chicks! -hugs-

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What do you mean when you say temp is good? I've found those Cornish cross need more access to cooler temps than layer chicks. Be sure you have enough brooder space and the heat at one end, food at the other so they can cool off.

6. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

[​IMG]

Need information regarding the environment: temperature, feed, litter, etc. Also, with CX some casualties are expected, but your rate does seem high.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by